20g - final stocking: glo fish

Chris1212

20g cycled. Temp is 77-79. Filter: Penguin 150 modified with prefilter sponge and two sponges and a bag of matrix inside the HOB (removed the carbon cartridge early on). Lots of fake plants and plenty of hiding spots throughout. Weekly water changes of 1/4-1/3.

Just moved in a Bolivian ram and a male platy to join 2 other male platies and a swordtail. 3 Amano shrimp also. I'm in no rush to add more and am waiting to make sure everyone gets along, survives, and the filter/cycle/bb accommodate the new residents.

Kids really want glo fish - eventually, should we do a school (6) of danio or tetra? I'm leaning toward the danio since they seem smaller. I'd also love to add another bolivian if our new one seems to do ok, although I know that could be asking for trouble.

Using aq advisor which I know leans toward the conservative side, it says we would be at 106% of stocking level with the 3 platies, 1 swordtail, 6 danio, and 2 bolivians.

Unknown9182

I would do tetras (speaking from experience) I once bought 7 glo danios, only all of them too slowly die for no reason, no other fish died. The reason for this most likely is that their overbred and it just weakens their immune system. Tetras are hardier. Although danios being bullet proof is controversial glo danios are the opposite.

Upvote 0

Chris1212

Ok, thanks for the reply. I thought maybe the tetras were too big for the 20g (a school of them) but what you said about the danios and too much breeding makes sense.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
connorjs1004
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dan1984
  • Question
Replies