20g cycling questions...

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Soon i am going to be getting a 20g fish tank and i am unsure how to cycle it i have read the article but still don't understand, what is the point in doing it? Do i do water changes while the tank is cycling? Please help!

Thanks
Emily

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're fishless cycling, you don't have to do water changes, if you have fish in, then the water changes help reduce the concentration of the nitrogenous waste (ammonia, nitrites and nitrates), giving the fish a better chance of surviving.

[edit]As long as your concentrations can still support the growth of bacteria, you don't need to change water.

So that I don't go down the wrong path in answering, which bit do you need help with, the bit about the cycle, what it is etc, or which method to use to cycle?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Emily,

I have moved your thread to the Nitrogen Cycle section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

The nitrogen cycle keeps your fish safe from ammonia poisoning, or to prevent your fish from swimming in their own waste.

The fish produce ammonia which over a period of several weeks turns into nitrites. Then the nitrites turn into nitrates. The ammonia levels and nitrites disappear and you should have some trace (under 20) of nitrates. At this point your tank is cycled and your fish should be safe as long as you keep up with frequent water changes and tank maintenance.
Cycled readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates.

There are several ways to cycle your tank. See link below:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/four-methods-of-fish-less-cycling.48446/

The best way to cycle your tank is without fish. Some consider it inhumane to cycle with fish. (especially since it isn't necessary).

If you have more questions, please let us know.
Ken

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will be cycling without fish, i think it is cruel with fish. Which method should i use to cycle the tank and how do i do it? sorry for all the questions...

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Emily do you have two tanks or just 1?

If you have more than 1 tank, you can take some filter media from the established tank to Seed the new tank. It will help to speed the cycling process.

If not, I personally would use the shrimp method. Add a raw shrimp into a mesh bag and let it decay. Ammonia will be produced from the decaying shrimp to start your cycle.

Ken

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
At the moment i have just 1 tank sorry for confusing you... i will do that, how long will it take to cycle?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lol...I think I have my confusion straightened out now

I'm not merging anything and not changing anything about your threads.

Your tank may take 4 to 6 weeks to cycle. You really can't put a time limit on it.

Ken

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok thankyou for all the advice and again sorry about the confusion.

Emily

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No problem Emily

Ask all the questions that you need to. We're here to help when we can.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom