20g coldwater

1. D

Diggly Well Known Member Member

Depending on whether or not my new betta barracks comes with a heater I might have to scrap my dp idea and go for a coldwater tank (cheaper on elec bills anyway!)

apart from the usual goldfish (and yes I know I can only fit 1!!) what other species are coldwater and can live in that tank. A bigger tank isnt an option :).

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

white cloud minnows....some type of barbs and tetras but I would google them as I dont remember which ones...other than that, not to many care for the colder temps..

3. OP
    OP
    D

Google has come up with bloodfin tetras, guppys, rosey barbs and some others. I wouldnt just put fish in if I didnt think they could handle the temp and it might be worthwhile monitoring the temperature once the bettas are out to see what it levels out at. Then I could have a better idea of a stable temp to make sure I dont stress any fish.

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what type of weather do you have there in the winter? and your correct about a stable temp ...with or without a heater

5. OP
    OP
    D

Well its snowing here but I hate any cold so the heaters are on full!

We are in a brand new flat which has good insulation so even with the heater off and snow outside its not really cold in here.

6. jgon_

jgon_ Well Known Member Member

252.jpg

Golden white cloud minnows are very active and colorful. They would do great in a coldwater 20.

7. OP
    OP
    D

They are pretty!

Do they produce fry easily? I would need to buy less if they did. I will get on to google.

8. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

All though some people think this is cruel, Stickelbacks :) They are native to our country and they are fun to watch breed :)

9. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

White Clouds and certain species of Cory are good. If you don't mind having a species only tank, then I have to recommend a Paradise Fish. They're sub-tropical so an indoor unheated tank is ideal for them. They're unfortunatly a lot like larger Betta's, they get increasingly aggressive with age. In a 20 you'd have the perfect home for one.

10. OP
    OP
    D

This is just an if anyway, if the heater does work then this is good knowledge for the future anyway when I decide - I mean when i ask my partner for the next tank :;smack

Coldwater seems like a nice change!

11. k

kacie Member Member

An opportunity to try Gymnogeophagus!!! Also I think some Central American cichlids like my new Sajica are good in room temp tanks. Also peppered cories and BN Plecos are supposed to work in cooler temps.

12. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

I've read that the BN plecos can tolorate as cool as 60 degrees, but i haven't tried. zebra danios are a good choice. rosy barbs also work

13. OP
    OP
    D

Gymneophagus in a 20g though? would it be big enough?

I have 2 apistogramma aggassazis (sorry about spelling!) 1m and 1f that I could put in the tank if there is any chance they could tolerate cooler water. If not I am considering buying another heater and maybe trying to breed them.

14. k

kacie Member Member

I think Apistos like it warm. Maybe Gymno meridionalis would work in a 20g. Cichlid Forum added it to it's cookie cutters so could be worth a try, if you could get the tank down to 60 for 3 months. I enjoy mine.

15. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

wait until after-christmas sales and see if a heater comes on sale then. stores look to get rid of extra stock then, and it wouldn't hurt to have an extra heater around anyway...

what's a stickleback and why is it cruel?

16. Danionins.com

Danionins.com Member Member

Many of the Danios will work - Celestial Pearl Danios, Glowlight Danios, etc

Dennis

17. OP
    OP
    D

Well this certainly gives me alot of options! I was only expecting 2 or 3 lol! Thank you for all your replies :).