20g breeding tank max stocking

SinisterCichlids

I believe 7-10 would be appropriate if you are trying to breed.

AcornTheBetta

SinisterCichlids said:
I believe 7-10 would be appropriate if you are trying to breed.
I was going to breed both. 10 of each max?

SinisterCichlids

Don't know much about platy's but 10 platys and 10 corys seem about right to me. Check this article out.

SinisterCichlids

That website/link said 12 in a 30 gallon. Considering youre also doing platys, I think my recommendation of 10 was about right haha.

SinisterCichlids

SinisterCichlids said:
That website/link said 12 in a 30 gallon. Considering youre also doing platys, I think my recommendation of 10 was about right haha.
Thanks for the follow brother. I appreciate it and followed you back. Take a look on my page, I posted some pictures of my breeding mbuna that you might be interested in!

MacZ

I'd not try to breed them in the same tank.
It's likely the platies eat the cory eggs and will multiply themselves very quickly. In a 20 you will have a problem with overstocking soon and platies are not going to be ripped from your hands unless you have a rare but popular colour variation.
Also platies like hard water, while cories like soft water.
With the aggressive breeding behaviour of the platies, maybe a 30 or 40 for them would be the better choice anyway.
I would do a tank each.

AcornTheBetta

MacZ said:
I'd not try to breed them in the same tank.
It's likely the platies eat the cory eggs and will multiply themselves very quickly. In a 20 you will have a problem with overstocking soon and platies are not going to be ripped from your hands unless you have a rare but popular colour variation.
Also platies like hard water, while cories like soft water.
With the aggressive breeding behaviour of the platies, maybe a 30 or 40 for them would be the better choice anyway.
I would do a tank each.
If I switched to that what would be the max amount of corys I could have in the 20g long?

AcornTheBetta

Also, I'm going to take the eggs out once I see them get laid and wouldn't the corys eat the eggs too? I think I'm going to skip the platys tho.

MacZ

AcornTheBetta said:
If I switched to that what would be the max amount of corys I could have in the 20g long?
Still going for sterbai? About 10. You need room for fry and you have to remember that a cory tank needs a big footprint and doesn't have to be high.

AcornTheBetta said:
Also, I'm going to take the eggs out once I see them get laid and wouldn't the corys eat the eggs too? I think I'm going to skip the platys tho.
They don't eat their own eggs that often, actually. Still, leave some room for eventual eggs/fry you miss.

Good call on scratching the platies. :)

AcornTheBetta

MacZ said:
Still going for sterbai? About 10. You need room for fry and you have to remember that a cory tank needs a big footprint and doesn't have to be high.
I'm going sterbai. Ok. I'll start with 6 corys and go from there. I'm getting a 20g long for that reason. Are there any easy to breed fish that wouldn't gobble the eggs?

MacZ

AcornTheBetta said:
I'm going sterbai. Ok. I'll start with 6 corys and go from there. I'm getting a 20g long for that reason. Are there any easy to breed fish that wouldn't gobble the eggs?
Spontaneously, from the top of my head I can only think of fish that are either easy to breed OR won't touch the eggs. But not both. Sorry.

AcornTheBetta

MacZ said:
Spontaneously, from the top of my head I can only think of fish that are either easy to breed OR won't touch the eggs. But not both. Sorry.
Any that won't touch the eggs? I am up for a bit of a breeding challenge. They have to be compatible with sterbai, 80F, and a 20g long. How big do you think my grow out tank for the corys should be? 10g?

MacZ

Fish that won't touch the eggs and fit the tank... maybe Farlowella catfish? Though the tank could be a little small for those. I'd definitely look into other catfish. Stay clear of Otocinclus, though. They are just a constant source of sorrow. (And so tricky, it's not a fun challenge anymore, it's a fight for life or death.)

2x 10g or a second 20g. Once cories start breeding the numbers skyrocket usually. Provided you get them to breed, that is.

Top Bottom