200gal Over Pop Fear

Johny

Reaction score
I am on my phone, I'm sorry for any format errors.

Info: Planted 200gal. 3 (possibly 5) mating pairs; Black Mollies, Red Platties, Swordtails, and a possible Saimese Algae Eater and Placo pair. There is also a Chinese Algae Eater and 11 platy fry (now about dime sized) that survived a rigorous fungi/ick/parasite treatment (Good for them!).

Problem: All my females are preggo right now, I am sure there is at least 7 female babies (I think). I am worried of rapid overpopulation. This tank was unintended and now I'm all in.

Question: Is there a predator fish I can get to eat the majority of the fry but leave the main fish alone? I want to keep it planted so I don't want to add anything that destroys plantlife.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would remove the Chinese algae eater, those things will destroy any nice planted peaceful tanks.

IMO, get angels! They love to hunt for fry!

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The CAE will also eat nearly anything if it's fully grown, including fry (and 11" Carp)

Johny

Reaction score
aussieJJDude said:
I would remove the Chinese algae eater, those things will destroy any nice planted peaceful tanks.

IMO, get angels! They love to hunt for fry!

--My CAE is pretty chill, I have had him for 5 years now. Luckily he hasn't torn up my plants (they are glued to rocks)

Johny

Reaction score
Mick Frost said:
The CAE will also eat nearly anything if it's fully grown, including fry (and 11" Carp)
-- I feed him, the 2 placos (small atm), and the Saimese Algae Eaters special AE food once a night. Should I feed less to make him eat more fry?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Johny said:
-- I feed him, the 2 placos (small atm), and the Saimese Algae Eaters special AE food once a night. Should I feed less to make him eat more fry?
It's completely possible that you were lucky enough to get a friendly one. I've heard of them, but I've heard of unicorns... Wait and see I suppose. An Auratus or Kribensis is good fry control, if you can get a mild mannered male. Avoid females, the PMS is ****.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A Chinese algae eater has a mouth like a pelican, that will stretch open so big he can swallow a fish nearly his own size, if he can get to it head first.

It's amazingly like watching a snake eat a big rat. You think the snake will pop!

When yours decides he's not being fed enough, you will awaken to find fish missing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom