200g move, rebuild and restock

1. Seth1977 Initiate Member

So was given a 200g tank when my friend had to move and couldn't bring it with him. I took grate care to save all the gravel and not dump the filter and it seems like my hard work paid off all my levels seem fine and all fish survived the move. In a few weeks I will be stocking with a few more fish but right now there are 4x rose line sharks
    5x boeseman rainbow fish
    1 electric blue ram
    2 dwarf plecos
    5 blue rainbow
    [​IMG]
    This is my first large build and my first attempt at a move so any advice or cautions would be gratefully appreciated.

2. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome. That tank looks great, and can only wish to have one of that size.
    I will call on our resident stockers here. Anders247, TexasDomer hampalong. They are great with stocking advice.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

You have lots of stocking options in a tank that size!

What species of dwarf pleco? What are electric blue rainbows?

Roseline sharks aren't temp compatible with the blue ram or the Boesemani rainbowfish, so I'd rehome them. You have room for many more Boesemani though!

4. Seth1977 Initiate Member

The resource I used has the temp range in the low tomid 70 for all those fish. And one pleco is a Pario-ancistrus L-048 i believe and not sure on the other. The where in the tank when I inherited it. I will take some pics and hopefully with some help I can identify them and what I'm calling the electric blue is also known as a Turquoise rainbow

5. Seth1977 Initiate Member

So my pleco's are a little camera shy but I got a pic of one and a partial of the other. [​IMG][​IMG]

And to add to the thread I made a mistake on the tank size it's only a 120g not a 200g. But I think I'm still have room for a few more fish

Well just an update. New fluval Fx6 installed to work along with the api fillstar xl and aquatop titanium 300w heater to help control temp better. Things are definitely going in the right direction

6. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

The FX6 is a monster, and perfect for your size tank. I was thinking about one for my tank, but,, I think it will be a little too much for a 75. 120g is still a very nice size, you can do a lot stocking wise with a 120.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What resource did you use? Unfortunately many aren't reliable. I like SeriouslyFish, Fishbase, and PlanetCatfish. They're the same sources my ichthyologist friends use.

Blue ram, Boesemani, and L048 pleco require warmer water than the turquoise rainbows too.

8. Seth1977 Initiate Member

I used the info on liveaquaria.com for allot of my info as well as the info on this forum

For now I have my heater set to 75 which seems to be the best temp in everyone's range. I definitely will do a little more home work and decide on what to do.

9. Seth1977 Initiate Member

So I went and talked to my LFS that sold me the fish. I had an interesting conversation with the owner. The argument he has to the temperature difference is that all the fish he sold came from local fish breeders and they are all bread and raised in 75 to 78 degree range locally. He would agree that if it was an imported fish that lived it's life in warmer water then yes it would be stressful on the fish to keep them In cooler water but these have always been in this temperature.
    Now to me he has a valid point but not sure if what he's saying is possible or just a ploy to get me to leave lol. I would like your input on this if you have an opinion.
    I don't really have any friends around me in the hobby and I joined fishlore to be able to ask questions that are unbiased. I don't really have any relationship with any shops and don't know how much of what they tell me is accurate

10. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

I had a heck of a time moving my 75 gallon, my advise take all the water out. Good luck

11. Seth1977 Initiate Member

Already moved and reset up and yes allot easier without the water in it

12. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

Awesome post a picture. I'd love to see is new home

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately both LiveAquaria and Fishlore profiles aren't accurate.

75 F is too low for the blue ram, L 048 pleco, and the Boesemani rainbows. You can rehome them and replace them with a group of Bolivian rams and more rainbowfish that can handle the cooler water?

I believe fish should be kept in the range of temps where they are found in the wild. They are not adapted to temps outside of this.

What about these options for stocking your 120 gal?

Warm water stocking:
    12-15x Boesemani rainbowfish
    10-15x Congo tetra
    2-6x Blue rams
    L 048 pleco
    1x unknown dwarf pleco

Cool water stocking:
    10-15x Roseline sharks
    10-12x Turquoise rainbows
    1x unknown pleco
    2-6x Bolivian ram