200 Litre Stocking Ideas

1. c

congotetra888 Valued Member Member

I have redesigned my 200 litre (I believe just over 50 US gallons) and am looking to restock it,
    I'm currently looking towards Asian fish and would like other opinions
    My current thinking is
    6x Congo tetras (I know not Asian but my absolute favourite fish)
    12x cherry barb
    6x zebra loach
    3x pearl gourami

I would love to have a pair of golden panchax and another shoal of maybe 6 barbs (golden or rhombo) but not sure if that'll be too much.

Thanks for any help it's really appreciated!!

More plants will be added... 1529328512644.jpg

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Without the Panchax and extra 6 barbs you're fully stocked. Your Gouramis and loaches will need to be watched to make sure they get to eat. Schooling fish lime barbs and tetras are super fast food gulpers. It's a natural schooling instinct in order to make sure they get some of the food before being consumed by the rest of the school.

3. OP
    OP
    c

No problem with feeding, I've got another tank and have a variety of foods, sinking pellets and such so they should all get their fill :)

Sorry Im not sure if I'm misreading it, are you saying no to both barbs and panchax or just no to the panchax (just wanted to double check :))

Thank you for the reply, I'm so excited for this tank!!!!!!!

Also filtration is for a tank double the size if that makes a difference (however I don't want the tank to look overstocked either)

4. finnipper59

I was suggesting no to the extra 6 barbs too.

5. OP
    OP
    c

Ah okay, thank you :)

6. finnipper59

If you aquascape nicely with things like driftwood, a nice rock formation, and plants ( even plastic ones), you only need a few fish to disply color and movement to have a beautiful aquarium.

7. OP
    OP
    c

I've tried aquascaping with this tank it looks pretty poor but I tried, the picture of the tank was at the end of the initial post :)

8. finnipper59

It's actually pretty good. Add may
    Maybe add 1 tall plant in front of the heater. Otherwise it's nice. Just 1 plant so the fish will have somewhere to swim.

9. OP
    OP
    c

Yeah I'm going shopping tomorrow for a few more plants, maybe a few more rocks aswell :) wasn't sure if I could put plants too close to the heater

10. finnipper59

I know that seems questionable, but water floe will determine if the heater damages the plant or not. Don't add too much more stuff...you're going to have to vacuum and clean that tank once in awhile. Lol

11. OP
    OP
    c

Well the stockings already gone wrong...So I went to the lfs today to get my first group of barbs (my tank has been cycled) so I asked for 6 cherry barbs, then in the tank were two "mystery" barbs which the guy said I could have for free as they weren't getting anymore of them in.... So in the moment I took pity (wrong decision I know) and took them home too, then I get home start floating the bag and one of the "cherry barbs" he caught was in fact a tetra of some sort.... (when I turn on the lights I'll see what species) .... But yeah I already messed up and gave into my weaknesses I'll try to stick to my original stocking again but I hope the 3 other fish will be okay

The two mystery barbs were two spot barbs... Still looking at the tetra

12. finnipper59

You seem to be a normal new tank fish stocker to me. I've often started out a little to eager when stocking a new tank, but you will figure out how to work around it. Just give the tank 2 weeks to adjust to the fish load you have. That will give time to figure out how to balance what you've started.

13. OP
    OP
    c

Yeah, I got way too eager, I'm a little worried about the fish I just bought though, the tetra (which turns out to be a silvertip tetra) looks very unhealty, and the two spot barbs, who looked healthy in the store are now looking a little rough, the guy at the store was new and was handling them really roughly so I'm hoping they'll all be okay! I'm annoyed about the tetra because i feel bad for him because I doubt I'll get anymore, however at this rate doesn't look like he'll last long :( at least all the cherrys look healthy and are exploring the tank

Update: after a little more research they seem to be redside barbs

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions of your tank?

15. OP
    OP
    c

100cm long 55cm tall and 45 cm depth, (that's roughly the dimensions from what I remember) it's a roma 200 and it's definitely a metre long

16. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Imo, I would do 8-10 total congo tetras rather than another school of barbs. I think that would be fine.

17. OP
    OP
    c

Ah cool, I already have 6 congos I need to move in so it'll be nice to add a few more, cheers!

18. OP
    OP
    c

Just an update on the tank, it's now fully stocked and the stocking went a bit... Well... Differently. I ended up moving a lot of my old fish back to this aquarium because I just love them too much. So the final stocking list is
    6x Congo tetra
    6x cherry barb
    2x redside barbs (last ones at the store and they weren't getting more, but they shoal nicely with the congos)
    2x ember tetras (from a previous shoal)
    2x swordtails (home bred)
    2x dwarf flag acara (impulse buy but I had to have a cichlid in there, they're doing fantastically, first time I've had them and they are just awesome)
    3x zebra loaches (would love to add another 3 but don't want to overstock)
    So yeah, not quite to plan, the swordtails and embers were planned to stay in the second tank but couldn't resist putting them in the new scape, the acaras and redsides were impulses that so far have wonderfully paid off!
    Not sure if anyone cares but I just wanted to update. Cheers everyone for your help, even if I went way off plan

This is the finished tank, I'm very happy with it :) 1535412387734.jpg

19. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would add at least 3 more. They stay out the way of the other fish so won't overstock your tank and are schooling so a group of 6 is the bare minimum.

20. OP
    OP
    c

Cool, that's all I needed to go get another 3. :D I knew you had to have 6 but due to issues I didn't manage to get the other 3 previously, but my lfs store got more in so I'll get some more this week.