200 Gallon Tank /mini Pond Question

?

Is it over stocked

1. yes

2. no

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jared638459

jared638459 New Member Member

I have a kiddie pool that I want to use like a pond. It has a diameter of 6 feet and it 15 inches high.My plan is to put 3 bala sharks,12 silver dollar , 1 tigre oscar and 1 gray bichir.Is this over stocked . I will also put a 200 gallon canister filter, two 100 gallon air pump, also two 500 watt heater, with 48 pound of gravel.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't put bala sharks with silver dollar, and an Oscar.
    Is this going to be outside?

You can possibly do the bala sharks, but how deep is the pool?

3. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Regardless of th type of fish you wind up with, fish tend to be jumpers, so you'll need a net covering. Ive also watched a blue heron fly away with a $65.00 koi one morning. Even I don't get to eat fish that cost $65.00! Lol

4. OP
    OP
    jared638459

It 15 inches deep also do you know what other fish I could put with a oscar, silver dollars , and a bichor

It indoor

Is the set up good ?

5. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Is the pond exactly 200-gallons or is that an estimate?

Silver dollars are herbivores. On the other hand, the bichir and oscar are carnivores. You'd have to figure out a way to give each fish the right type of food, as diet is essential for any animal. I would personally stick with the carnivores. Maybe purchase an oscar pair and one bichir, but make sure the bichir is big enough to fend for itself and that the oscars are of fairly similar size, if not smaller. Make sure to get the tank cycled beforehand. I would start with adding the bichir (after tank is cycled) just to prevent a mini-cycle. Keep the tank around 75 degrees. I would give the bichir some rocks to hide in and plenty of sand to burrow in. This may make it hard to clean the tank, but it's necessary for the bichir's health. A tight-fitting lid will be needed.

6. OP
    OP
    jared638459

The pond is 198 gallons .Also I read that oscars are omnivor but prefer meat so does the bichir my plan is to feed both meaty and vetable pellet .Also sometime feeding live like worms for the Oscar and bichir.

7. Adriifu

That sounds all right. Where did you read that they ate veggies? I would just stick to meaty foods.

8. OP
    OP
    jared638459

I said that in the wild the ocasinally ate fruit that came into the water.

The veggie are for the silver dóllars

9. Adriifu

Ah, so you're going to get silver dollars? I wouldn't suggest them with oscars or bichirs.

10. OP
    OP
    jared638459

I really want to keep a oscar The other stocking am not sure but the oscar is for sure.What else would you recomend

11. Adriifu

In my first comment, I suggested two oscars and the bichir. Here it is:

Silver dollars are herbivores. On the other hand, the bichir and oscar are carnivores. You'd have to figure out a way to give each fish the right type of food, as diet is essential for any animal. I would personally stick with the carnivores. Maybe purchase an oscar pair and one bichir, but make sure the bichir is big enough to fend for itself and that the oscars are of fairly similar size, if not smaller. Make sure to get the tank cycled beforehand. I would start with adding the bichir (after tank is cycled) just to prevent a mini-cycle. Keep the tank around 75 degrees. I would give the bichir some rocks to hide in and plenty of sand to burrow in. This may make it hard to clean the tank, but it's necessary for the bichir's health. A tight-fitting lid will be needed.

12. OP
    OP
    jared638459

Am for sure getting a oscar but also want to add tank mates the "pond" has 6 feet diameter and it 15 inches tall

13. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

How many gallons or liters?

14. OP
    OP
    jared638459

exacly 198 Gallins almost 200 gallons

15. OP
    OP
    jared638459

Am hoping to get a 200 gallon mini pond it has 2 heater of 500 watts .2 air pump for 100 gallons.and a 200 gallon canister filter It will also have 48 pound of gravel It has a diameter of 6 feet.and it a 15 inches deep.I want to put A oscar.Does anyone recommend tankmates ???.........

16. scaryportdenny

scaryportdenny New Member Member

Maybe not Oscars

They are difficult to keep with most tankmates

17. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged so members can see what’s already been suggested, please only create one thread per topic

18. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

Managuense cichlid, Green terror, jack dempsey cichlid and other cichlids, or large salfin pleco. but im not sure if they can all fit in the pond or if they will do good in a pond. Are you making a cover for the pond?

19. OP
    OP
    jared638459

Am not sure yet but problebly

only when am not home