20 Long or 29.

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I've been in the hobby a while and im sure some of you may have seen my posts about various subjects... At one point awhile back i had hung up my fish net and called it quits, getting rid of all my tanks and gear but with a heavy heart but I'm back! Yay!

Fast forward to today,, Ive been pretty happy with my new(ish) 3 gallon betta tank so far... the filter kinda sux so i want something that i can have a diy hob

thinking of a 20 Long or a 29 (i already have the stand)

I know I want plants, and possibly going high tech, but I'm not sure which size to get. The 20L would fit the space better but would the 29 be better for some reason? I don't know, any tips or suggestions?

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
20 is probably cheaper and fish need length rather than height to swim anyways, so personally i’d go with the 20.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll also vote for the 20 long, especially since you said it will be planted. The shallower tank is easier to work in, and the plants will likely do better since they'll be closer to the light.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I always say the more water volume the better, especially with beginners. If you are a beginner ;). Because water changes more slowly in parameters but if you don't want to spend a ton more, a 20 still is fine.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can't really knock more water ;)

I think vertical space is "underrated", fish will often use the space when given to them.
It gives you more creative leeway.
You get to say I have a 29 instead of a schmuck 20 ;)
This being said i'd only do it if it fits well in the space. It's a pain to deal with awkward aquariums that aren't easily accessible :)

TheManFromCabo

Reaction score
What kind of fish/how many do you intend to keep?

Aqueon runs a $1.00/gallon sale several times a year and I bought a 20L. Nine months later I couldn’t help but get a 29g because all the equipment swapped over. I’m just glad there’s nothing else 30” that’s larger.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would say go for the 20 long if you are a beginner because a 29 is just extra height, and like JettsPapa said, it would be better for plants to access light. But more water volume is always better and may open you to more stocking options.

OP
Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Wow thanks everyone! Yeah I'm going with the 20L...

15906134990313009283768585390216.jpg

As you can see it fits in the space better. (Mind the rats nest haven't gotten around to fixing it yet!)

As for fish TheManFromCabo I'm not sure yet I thought something thats not super flashy, but something natural that goes well with the plants. I want like- a biotope (I think thats the right name for it) probably a schooling fish.

Also would a Marineland 160gph be better than a hob?

Again, thanks everyone!!

OP
Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FinalFins Maybe like a forest stream like Asian?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
A biotope is a replica of nature so all fish and decor must match a continent/place that inspires you.

A stream replicates many places. You have many countries and places in the world that have streams.

Pick a continent and base it around that.

I suggest checking out this website-

They are a website made for biotope contests yearly, there are many pictures and helpful hints. :)

OP
Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
FinalFins awesome thank you! Maybe I'll do a show tank and enter a contest... :)

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The only difference in a 20 long and 29 gallon is height. I would do the 29g. More water and when plants start to grow they will look better with room to the top. Or you will be trimming plants alot as time passes. My Amazon sword would not fit in a 20lomg anymore

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rcslade124 said:
The only difference in a 20 long and 29 gallon is height. I would do the 29g. More water and when plants start to grow they will look better with room to the top. Or you will be trimming plants alot as time passes. My Amazon sword would not fit in a 20lomg anymore
Did you see the picture posted above? I don't think there's room for a 29 and still have room to work in it.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have one of each. The 29 is tall. I like the dimensions of the 20 long better. However, the 29 would look good with a few large fish IMO. Right now I have about 50 or 60 feeder guppies and fry in the 29. I am planning to get rid of them. Then I think four or five larger fish will be cool.

My 20 long is empty now. It was an acclimation tank for 20 rasboras until I moved them to a 40 breeder. The 20 long was a really good fit for the 20 rasboras. They swam from end to end. I do not think the 29 would have had any more effective space for them since as others have commented, they like the length. They are really cool to watch in the 40 breeder.

So I think it depends on how you are going to stock it. If you are thinking of a lot of small schooling fish, I think the 20 long would be cool. But a few larger fish might look better in the 29.

OP
Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ooo I'm getting excited! I might just go out tomorrow and buy the tank. I want to do this one right though, no cutting corners. Lol my poor betta is just starring at the empty spot next to his home...poor guy, anyway I have to order a light and filter. Ill do a finnex planted+ cc and a fluval c4 which I will later upgrade to a canister.

Edit: After I get the hang of things I'm going high tech!

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have both a 20long and a 29g. I prefer the 29 for plants, especially if you want good vertical growth. And as mentioned, a lot of people underrate height, as fish will use the extra space given. Fish don't always swim in 12" of water. Something needs to be done about that shelf though . . .

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
Did you see the picture posted above? I don't think there's room for a 29 and still have room to work in it.
Yes with that shelf a 29 won't fit. But as final fins and scarface stated my cardinal tetras stay in the upper half alot. But then again my Rams are in the bottom. But the Cardinals do go to the bottom. They just stay about 10 inches up and higher.

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TheManFromCabo said:
What kind of fish/how many do you intend to keep?

Aqueon runs a $1.00/gallon sale several times a year and I bought a 20L. Nine months later I couldn’t help but get a 29g because all the equipment swapped over. I’m just glad there’s nothing else 30” that’s larger.
I take it you've never heard of a 37 gallon then?
Same base dimensions as a 20 long, just 22" tall instead of the 18" of a 29gal. Not very common in fish stores though, best bet is to find one off craigslist.

Yes yes, why would I tell you such things? You're welcome, I live to cause mayhem and fish addiction.

New Threads