20 Long Or 29?

Kristian Acevedo
Hey Folks!
It’s been a minute since I’ve posted. I have a stand that is made for aquariums up to 29 gal. I’m wondering what the stocking difference between a 20 gallon long and a 29 gallon is, which you would prefer and why, and any pros and cons. I have a 20 gallon long that I love, but it really only has 2 swimming areas (top and bottom) and not many tall plants fit in it.

Thanks!
Ace

Buganjimo
I’d get a 29 imo, the more (space? Gallons?) the merrier also as you said you could have that top/mid/bottom split

75g Discus Tank
Aesthetically, the 20 long is better IMO.

29 gallons look weird and disproportionate to me, but they are better for taller plants and there is more water.

Gypsy13
I like the twenty long over the twenty nine. The long just gives fish more room to swim. My twenty nine is just a royal pain. Feels odd to me. It’s fine for itty bitty fish but even my female guppies needed more room. But I also understand your problem with plants in the shorter tank. I finally found a forty long and so many plants I love are just too tall. But I’m finding new to me plants that grow slower and are totally awesome.
Another thing I like about the long tanks is there is a lot of movement all the time. My male guppies are top middle bottom all the time. My danios think they’re in heaven. They’re also all over the tank. The gWCMM still hang out in the middle. The corys still hang out mostly on the bottom.
Do both. You’re going to end up getting another anyway. MTS

Aesthetically, the 20 long is better IMO.

29 gallons look weird and disproportionate to me, but they are better for taller plants and there is more water.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks the twenty nine is odd.

Esli
Long!!!! I have a bowfront and omg, I would prefer a long one for my fish to swim in. They have a new home that's cycling, so coming soon.

wodesorel
A 29 is a 20 long with six more inches up top. Same amount of swimming space, and more water.

It just depends on if you like the visual of taller tanks. Stocking is pretty much the same because of the footprint of the tank. I used to hate my 20 tall until I figured out how to fill in the upper region, and now I would never go shorter!

FreshFishes
29 all the way! It’s got the same footprint as a 20 long with 6 extra inches of fun times tacked on up top! My platies love to chase each other up and down and all around my 29, and the extra 6 inches really count when looking for nice, tall plants.

david1978
You are talking about 2 different tanks. A 29 can either be short and deep or it can be like the bottom ones said. I have a short deep one and I despise that tank. My brother has the one that's longer and not as deep and its a much nicer tank.

goldface
9 more gallons is hard to say no to, no matter the dimensions. The more water, the merrier!

IHaveADogToo
The more water volume the more stable the water is

Gypsy13
A 29 is a 20 long with six more inches up top. Same amount of swimming space, and more water.

It just depends on if you like the visual of taller tanks. Stocking is pretty much the same because of the footprint of the tank. I used to hate my 20 tall until I figured out how to fill in the upper region, and now I would never go shorter!

Isn’t that something? I love long and low. Always have which is good cause now tall is too hard for me.

Woodsman27
So I've been in the hobby a while and im sure some of you may have seen my posts about various subjects... At one point awhile back i had hung up my fish net and called it quits, getting rid of all my tanks and gear but with a heavy heart but I'm back! Yay!

Fast forward to today,, Ive been pretty happy with my new(ish) 3 gallon betta tank so far... the filter kinda sux so i want something that i can have a diy hob

thinking of a 20 Long or a 29 (i already have the stand)

I know I want plants, and possibly going high tech, but I'm not sure which size to get. The 20L would fit the space better but would the 29 be better for some reason? I don't know, any tips or suggestions?

ayeayeron
20 is probably cheaper and fish need length rather than height to swim anyways, so personally i’d go with the 20.

ProudPapa
I'll also vote for the 20 long, especially since you said it will be planted. The shallower tank is easier to work in, and the plants will likely do better since they'll be closer to the light.

SouthAmericanCichlids
I always say the more water volume the better, especially with beginners. If you are a beginner . Because water changes more slowly in parameters but if you don't want to spend a ton more, a 20 still is fine.

jinjerJOSH22
Can't really knock more water

I think vertical space is "underrated", fish will often use the space when given to them.
It gives you more creative leeway.
You get to say I have a 29 instead of a schmuck 20
This being said i'd only do it if it fits well in the space. It's a pain to deal with awkward aquariums that aren't easily accessible

TheManFromCabo
What kind of fish/how many do you intend to keep?

Aqueon runs a $1.00/gallon sale several times a year and I bought a 20L. Nine months later I couldn’t help but get a 29g because all the equipment swapped over. I’m just glad there’s nothing else 30” that’s larger.

AquaticQueen
I would say go for the 20 long if you are a beginner because a 29 is just extra height, and like JettsPapa said, it would be better for plants to access light. But more water volume is always better and may open you to more stocking options.

Woodsman27
Wow thanks everyone! Yeah I'm going with the 20L...

15906134990313009283768585390216.jpg

As you can see it fits in the space better. (Mind the rats nest haven't gotten around to fixing it yet!)

As for fish TheManFromCabo I'm not sure yet I thought something thats not super flashy, but something natural that goes well with the plants. I want like- a biotope (I think thats the right name for it) probably a schooling fish.

Also would a Marineland 160gph be better than a hob?

Again, thanks everyone!!

FinalFins
A 20 long would suit a biotope well. What kind of biotope you after?

Woodsman27
FinalFins Maybe like a forest stream like Asian?

FinalFins
A biotope is a replica of nature so all fish and decor must match a continent/place that inspires you.

A stream replicates many places. You have many countries and places in the world that have streams.

Pick a continent and base it around that.

I suggest checking out this website-
Biotope Aquarium. Welcome! • Biotope Aquarium

They are a website made for biotope contests yearly, there are many pictures and helpful hints.

Woodsman27
FinalFins awesome thank you! Maybe I'll do a show tank and enter a contest...

Rcslade124
The only difference in a 20 long and 29 gallon is height. I would do the 29g. More water and when plants start to grow they will look better with room to the top. Or you will be trimming plants alot as time passes. My Amazon sword would not fit in a 20lomg anymore

Rcslade124

IMG_20200519_174159.jpg

ProudPapa
The only difference in a 20 long and 29 gallon is height. I would do the 29g. More water and when plants start to grow they will look better with room to the top. Or you will be trimming plants alot as time passes. My Amazon sword would not fit in a 20lomg anymore

Did you see the picture posted above? I don't think there's room for a 29 and still have room to work in it.

Sorg67
I have one of each. The 29 is tall. I like the dimensions of the 20 long better. However, the 29 would look good with a few large fish IMO. Right now I have about 50 or 60 feeder guppies and fry in the 29. I am planning to get rid of them. Then I think four or five larger fish will be cool.

My 20 long is empty now. It was an acclimation tank for 20 rasboras until I moved them to a 40 breeder. The 20 long was a really good fit for the 20 rasboras. They swam from end to end. I do not think the 29 would have had any more effective space for them since as others have commented, they like the length. They are really cool to watch in the 40 breeder.

So I think it depends on how you are going to stock it. If you are thinking of a lot of small schooling fish, I think the 20 long would be cool. But a few larger fish might look better in the 29.

Woodsman27
Ooo I'm getting excited! I might just go out tomorrow and buy the tank. I want to do this one right though, no cutting corners. Lol my poor betta is just starring at the empty spot next to his home...poor guy, anyway I have to order a light and filter. Ill do a finnex planted+ cc and a fluval c4 which I will later upgrade to a canister.

Edit: After I get the hang of things I'm going high tech!

goldface
I have both a 20long and a 29g. I prefer the 29 for plants, especially if you want good vertical growth. And as mentioned, a lot of people underrate height, as fish will use the extra space given. Fish don't always swim in 12" of water. Something needs to be done about that shelf though . . .

Rcslade124
Did you see the picture posted above? I don't think there's room for a 29 and still have room to work in it.
Yes with that shelf a 29 won't fit. But as final fins and scarface stated my cardinal tetras stay in the upper half alot. But then again my Rams are in the bottom. But the Cardinals do go to the bottom. They just stay about 10 inches up and higher.

Nataku
What kind of fish/how many do you intend to keep?

Aqueon runs a $1.00/gallon sale several times a year and I bought a 20L. Nine months later I couldn’t help but get a 29g because all the equipment swapped over. I’m just glad there’s nothing else 30” that’s larger.
I take it you've never heard of a 37 gallon then?
Same base dimensions as a 20 long, just 22" tall instead of the 18" of a 29gal. Not very common in fish stores though, best bet is to find one off craigslist.

Yes yes, why would I tell you such things? You're welcome, I live to cause mayhem and fish addiction.

Woodsman27
I take it you've never heard of a 37 gallon then?
Same base dimensions as a 20 long, just 22" tall instead of the 18" of a 29gal. Not very common in fish stores though, best bet is to find one off craigslist.

Yes yes, why would I tell you such things? You're welcome, I live to cause mayhem and fish addiction.
The tank i got after my first 10g was a 37. I didn't care much for it. Not saying its a bad tank just am working with limitations.

Woodsman27
Yes with that shelf a 29 won't fit. But as final fins and scarface stated my cardinal tetras stay in the upper half alot. But then again my Rams are in the bottom. But the Cardinals do go to the bottom. They just stay about 10 inches up and higher.
Pictures??

Rcslade124
Pictures??
Back one page. Of course looking at it all the fish are in the middle. But they wanted food.

Woodsman27
Back one page. Of course looking at it all the fish are in the middle. But they wanted food.
Sorry I wasn't thinking. But ill post pictures when I get them and im sure ill be back to ask some questions, if they arise..
Again, thank you to all that replied.

SouthAmericanCichlids
If you are still looking to do a biotope I would say, since you are putting a betta in there. And since they come from Thailand, you could do pygmy/dwarf rasbora, pork chop rasbora, grey banded loach, barbs, many Danios, white cloud mountain minnow, and Chinese and Siamese algae eaters. To name a few.

KribensisLover1
I LOVED my 20 l. It was so easy to clean bc it’s not so deep. Enjoy!
Ps I upped to a 40 breeder bc the babies I had got too large for the 20 l. And now when I see too much food at the bottom it’s a lot tougher to just turkey baste it out. Seriously the 20 l is awesome.

Woodsman27
I LOVED my 20 l. It was so easy to clean bc it’s not so deep. Enjoy!
Ps I upped to a 40 breeder bc the babies I had got too large for the 20 l. And now when I see too much food at the bottom it’s a lot tougher to just turkey baste it out. Seriously the 20 l is awesome.
Yeah im really excited about this one i have actually just gotten the tank and lid this morning, had to go to 2 different petco stores (the lid came with a broken handle but I can just order one from Amazon later!)

Thank you so much SouthAmericanCichlids you just saved me from hours of research! Question: how could I get mh male betta to work with others of its kind? Like 1 male to 2 females rule... or 2 males in the same tank ect...

It turns out I had to move the shelf above the tank 2 notches because the lid wouldn't open all the way and there wouldn't be enough room for the hob I want. It was a pain... but i did it!

20200528_113221.jpg

jinjerJOSH22
Yeah im really excited about this one i have actually just gotten the tank and lid this morning, had to go to 2 different petco stores (the lid came with a broken handle but I can just order one from Amazon later!)

Thank you so much SouthAmericanCichlids you just saved me from hours of research! Question: how could I get mh male betta to work with others of its kind? Like 1 male to 2 females rule... or 2 males in the same tank ect...

It turns out I had to move the shelf above the tank 2 notches because the lid wouldn't open all the way and there wouldn't be enough room for the hob I want. It was a pain... but i did it!

View attachment 700583
Keep domestic Bettas on their own there's a reason they're called "fighting fish"

The Rasboras are a good option but i'd avoid the algae eaters suggested, the adults are far too big for a 20L.

ProudPapa
Yeah im really excited about this one i have actually just gotten the tank and lid this morning, had to go to 2 different petco stores (the lid came with a broken handle but I can just order one from Amazon later!) . . .

If it's a glass lid, with one of those little plastic handles that glue on, I wouldn't order another one like it. At least for me they're too hard to hold onto, especially with wet hands. I'd suggest getting a simple cabinet knob and glue it on instead. They're much less likely to slip out of your hand and let the lid drop. Just make sure you get them glued on well.

1590684033846.png

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SuzanaBanana
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Top Bottom