20 Long Or 29? Question

1. K

Kristian Acevedo Valued Member Member

Hey Folks!
    It’s been a minute since I’ve posted. I have a stand that is made for aquariums up to 29 gal. I’m wondering what the stocking difference between a 20g long and a 29g is, which you would prefer and why, and any pros and cons. I have a 20g long that I love, but it really only has 2 swimming areas (top and bottom) and not many tall plants fit in it.

Thanks!
    Ace

2. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

I’d get a 29 imo, the more (space? Gallons?) the merrier :) also as you said you could have that top/mid/bottom split

3. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Aesthetically, the 20 long is better IMO.

29 gallons look weird and disproportionate to me, but they are better for taller plants and there is more water.

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

I like the twenty long over the twenty nine. The long just gives fish more room to swim. My twenty nine is just a royal pain. Feels odd to me. It’s fine for itty bitty fish but even my female guppies needed more room. But I also understand your problem with plants in the shorter tank. I finally found a forty long and so many plants I love are just too tall. But I’m finding new to me plants that grow slower and are totally awesome.
    Another thing I like about the long tanks is there is a lot of movement all the time. My male guppies are top middle bottom all the time. My danios think they’re in heaven. They’re also all over the tank. The gWCMM still hang out in the middle. The corys still hang out mostly on the bottom.
    Do both. You’re going to end up getting another anyway. MTS :)

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks the twenty nine is odd.

5. Esli

Esli Valued Member Member

Long!!!! I have a bowfront and omg, I would prefer a long one for my fish to swim in. They have a new home thats cycling, so coming soon. :)

6. wodesorel

wodesorel Well Known Member Member

A 29 is a 20 long with six more inches up top. Same amount of swimming space, and more water.

It just depends on if you like the visual of taller tanks. Stocking is pretty much the same because of the footprint of the tank. I used to hate my 20 tall until I figured out how to fill in the upper region, and now I would never go shorter!

7. FreshFishes

FreshFishes Valued Member Member

29 all the way! It’s got the same footprint as a 20 long with 6 extra inches of fun times tacked on up top! My platies love to chase each other up and down and all around my 29, and the extra 6 inches really count when looking for nice, tall plants.

8. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

You are talking about 2 different tanks. A 29 can either be short and deep or it can be like the bottom ones said. I have a short deep one and i despise that tank. My brother has the one thats longer and not as deep and its a much nicer tank.

9. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

9 more gallons is hard to say no to, no matter the dimensions. The more water, the merrier!

10. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

The more water volume the more stable the water is

11. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Isn’t that something? I love long and low. Always have which is good cause now tall is too hard for me. :)