20 Long + Fry Tank

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I'm slowly piecing together a 20 long for a pair of GBRs. I do plan on raising the fry so I need a grow out tank. I know GBRs are highly susceptible to water quality, so I was planning on running the fry tank, or rather a 26 gallon plastic tote, under the main tank with an almost sump-like plumbing setup. I was thinking of using a Fluval 106 canister as the intake from the parents take with the outflow going into the fry tank. From then I'd plumb a return from the fry tank to the parents tank. I'm looking for help on how to plumb and power the return and overall ideas on the setup.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I'm slowly piecing together a 20 long for a pair of GBRs. I do plan on raising the fry so I need a grow out tank. I know GBRs are highly susceptible to water quality, so I was planning on running the fry tank, or rather a 26 gallon plastic tote, under the main tank with an almost sump-like plumbing setup. I was thinking of using a Fluval 106 canister as the intake from the parents take with the outflow going into the fry tank. From then I'd plumb a return from the fry tank to the parents tank. I'm looking for help on how to plumb and power the return and overall ideas on the setup.
Why not have another canister set up the same way just feeding the parent tank with water. 2 canisters opposite of each other.

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm looking for a more cost effective return system. the Fluval 106s are running me about 150$ per filter, so 2 of them is rather costly.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm looking for a more cost effective return system. the Fluval 106s are running me about 150$ per filter, so 2 of them is rather costly.
Just a suggestion, you could look to Amazon for a different brand canister with same water flow. I have one that's rated for a 300 gallon tank on my 55 and I only cost me about $50. I have recently seen them even cheaper. If all you need it for is just returning to parent tank its cheaper than a pump and plumbing.

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
on amazon.com I see sunsuns running for pretty cheap, but not so much on amazon.ca. And with the shipping from ordering off the american site I'd still be paying close to 150$ per filter...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom