20 Long + Fry Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by 2006fuzz, May 17, 2018.

1. 2006fuzz

2006fuzzValued MemberMember

So I'm slowly piecing together a 20 long for a pair of GBRs. I do plan on raising the fry so I need a grow out tank. I know GBRs are highly susceptible to water quality, so I was planning on running the fry tank, or rather a 26 gallon plastic tote, under the main tank with an almost sump-like plumbing setup. I was thinking of using a Fluval 106 canister as the intake from the parents take with the outflow going into the fry tank. From then I'd plumb a return from the fry tank to the parents tank. I'm looking for help on how to plumb and power the return and overall ideas on the setup.

2. danhutchins

danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

Why not have another canister set up the same way just feeding the parent tank with water. 2 canisters opposite of each other.

3. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

I'm looking for a more cost effective return system. the Fluval 106s are running me about 150$ per filter, so 2 of them is rather costly.

4. danhutchins

danhutchinsWell Known MemberMember

Just a suggestion, you could look to Amazon for a different brand canister with same water flow. I have one that's rated for a 300 gallon tank on my 55 and I only cost me about $50. I have recently seen them even cheaper. If all you need it for is just returning to parent tank its cheaper than a pump and plumbing.

5. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

on amazon.com I see sunsuns running for pretty cheap, but not so much on amazon.ca. And with the shipping from ordering off the american site I'd still be paying close to 150$ per filter...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice