20 Long + Fry Tank

1. 2006fuzz

2006fuzz Valued Member Member

So I'm slowly piecing together a 20 long for a pair of GBRs. I do plan on raising the fry so I need a grow out tank. I know GBRs are highly susceptible to water quality, so I was planning on running the fry tank, or rather a 26 gallon plastic tote, under the main tank with an almost sump-like plumbing setup. I was thinking of using a Fluval 106 canister as the intake from the parents take with the outflow going into the fry tank. From then I'd plumb a return from the fry tank to the parents tank. I'm looking for help on how to plumb and power the return and overall ideas on the setup.

2. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Why not have another canister set up the same way just feeding the parent tank with water. 2 canisters opposite of each other.

3. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

I'm looking for a more cost effective return system. the Fluval 106s are running me about 150$ per filter, so 2 of them is rather costly.

4. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

Just a suggestion, you could look to Amazon for a different brand canister with same water flow. I have one that's rated for a 300 gallon tank on my 55 and I only cost me about $50. I have recently seen them even cheaper. If all you need it for is just returning to parent tank its cheaper than a pump and plumbing.

5. OP
    OP
    2006fuzz

on amazon.com I see sunsuns running for pretty cheap, but not so much on amazon.ca. And with the shipping from ordering off the american site I'd still be paying close to 150$ per filter...