20 long. Can I keep different species of rams?

jvdb

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a 20 gallon long and was wondering if two different types of ram (bolivian & german blue) can co-exist in there without fighting? They occupy the same space but since they technically aren't the same species will they see each other as a threat or just ignore each other? Tank is moderately planted, some good hiding spots.

I'd love to have a pair of each but if that isn't enough space for both pairs I might just do a female of each species. Should that be ok?

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Usually a 40 gallon breeder is suggested for keeping multiple dwarf cichlids together. A 20 long I'm not sure would be enough. These fish are notoriously hard to sex as well so it may be hard getting 2 for sure females. And even if you were able to find 2 females I'm not sure it would be a good idea even then.

OP
J

jvdb

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks. I may just stick to Bolivians and hope for a pair

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Bolivians would be my pick as well between the two. IME what you give up in color you gain in hardiness and personality. From the ones I've seen locally as well it seems the bolivians are a bit nicer to other species than the germans as well. (There is a world war 2 joke in there somewhere)

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom