20 Gallon Vivarium

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fanatic, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, so I recently got myself into wanting my very own vivarium. You'll never guess what brought the idea to me in the first place.
    I decided that it was a great idea, and I should pursue it!

So, here is a little rundown on how things will work, and what my intentions are.

20 gallon long
    Stocking: no living animals
    Planting: densely, easy beginner plants
    Design: vertically, high tech

Basically, you've got your 20 gallon, right? Alright, so flip that over vertically, and you've got a giant workspace for plants and a neat creation!
    I decided to do it this way because it makes the most sense, and vivariums are usually tall.

The design will be a 20 gallon long tipped over vertically, and kept without any cover to the front panel, except for a six-inch panel to allow some substrate to be added.
    There will be a background in the tank, I thought of doing spray foam and paint that dark brown, nearly black. I will then cut holes for small plant cups to be placed directly inside with no problems.

Here are my very important questions, I need answers to them.

1) Once I spray the foam into the tank, can I remove it after it has dried?
    I would enjoy painting it outside the tank for easier maneuvering, and less risk of getting paint onto the glass.
    -
    2) Does spray foam stick to glass?
    What type of foam should I use?
    -
    3) What are some basic plants that do not need outdoor sunlight, and can grow easily underneath a plant light bulb?

Remember, no living animals, so there are no boundaries of what glues and paints I can use in the tank.
    PetCo is having the dollar per gallon sale right now, and it's close to ending, so I want to snag a tank while I still can!

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Spray foam does come off and sticks to glass. Ive seen many video done with it. I dont know what brand though. You can still buy the tank now without adding anything right away though. If it was me there would be a crested gecko in there :). But plants are fine. How are you planning for maintenance, like isopods or nothing at all?

Heres tyler rugges video showcaseing the foam background and cutting it off.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

Thanks! I will not be adding anything live besides plants to this tank until I have stabilized the environment, and once the plants grow in.

I’m picking up the tank on Saturday:)

4. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

Hey, I went out today.
    I got the last 20 long they had in stock! Dollar Per Gallon is still going!

5. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

Oooh! Super excited!

6. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

Well, the whole plan has crashed, or at least it might have.
    I ended up setting the 20 long up for my fish tank, just because I couldn't resist :)
    I still have a 10 gallon, which may or might not become a vivarium.

7. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

Isn't that how it works?

8. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

A 10gallon would work great to i think, maybe less background then. But who cant resit putting fish in it? I have a empty 5gallon as a emergency tank for anything that happens, I just want to but a betta in there

9. Alexolotl

Alexolotl Valued Member Member

Well if you do go ahead with the vivarium plan, I’d recommend sundews and North American pitcher plants (sarraceniaceae) They’re incredibly fascinating, don’t need much in the way of light or fertilizer (just leave a small piece of fruit for fruit flies, who inevitably get eaten) and just plain look good.

You could go all the way and make a North American carnivorous peat bog biotope with Venus flytraps and even bladderworts (whose flowers are also nice)

10. OP
    OP
    Fanatic

Thanks! I needed plant recommendations :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice