20 gallon (upgrading soon)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bporter9, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Bporter9New MemberMember

Hi all I am new here and was told to head this direction from my initial newb post. So here goes [don't be to harsh ]
    I have a 20 gallon (upgrading soon) I have 2 small orange fish...started with a group of 6 but the others died..these last 2 have lasted for about 1-2yrs now. I have a small white/orange minnow. I also have a porthole catfish, a plecko(got from a friend who was going to flush him, I do know they get big), and an African knife fish(also got from friend before they flushed it). I have had this in my 20 gallon for about 5 or 6 months now.
    I also have a 10 gallon tank with a male and female fiddler crab.

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore! Where at in tennessee?

Yeah you have quite a bit of stocking issues. Specifically the knife fish can get over 1 foot long. You'll want a 120 gallon tank or larger I believe. There are other members that know more about them than I do. Porthole cats need a 36 inch tank minimum so looking at a 30 gallon long or a 40 gallon breeder minimum. If it's a standard pleco, then you'll need to rehome him. A clown pleco would work probably in a 20 gallon as an alternative.

3. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

TexasDomer, Anders247 you guys know more about this stuff than I do.

Glad to see you here! The Common Pleco, if that's what you have, can get to be 2 feet long or more so you may need to rehome him and soon. They grow fast and need a tank of at least 150 gallons IIRC.

I think, not sure, that there may be temperature incompatibilities with your stock as well. Can you post a picture of your unidentified fish? I'm sure someone here will know!

4. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to the forum and glad you joined us. Alison:;hi2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice