20 Gallon tank!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TylerLovesFish, Jan 2, 2013.

1. TylerLovesFish

TylerLovesFishWell Known MemberMember

I plan on getting a 20 Gallon tank in 2 weeks. Any stocking ideas? If these fish survive this 3 Gallon tank, I hope to already have 2 guppies, 2 white clouds, a ghost shrimp, and a mystery snail. Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Supplies-Tetra-Deluxe-Starter/dp/B000TZ3MJM

It is $85 at the local store. It has a heater, net, filter, lighting, thermometer, and also comes with conditioner and food.

I will also have a stand for it.

Also what should I do with the 3 gallon tank? I was thinking either a quarantine tank or a shrimp tank, or snail tank.

2. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

is your 3 gallon tank cycled?

3. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

Most likely not. Had it since Christmas. I plan on doing another water change tomorrow.

4. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

if the fish are in there you need to water change every day and use prime to detox the ammonia

5. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

How much of a water change? as I said I hope to get the 20 Gallon as soon as possible, will probably move them when I get it, mostly because the cycling of the 20 gallon would be better than what they are in now.

6. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

50% until cycled (could be 6 weeks or more)

You can try Tetra Safe Start. People say it works. I dont know i use old seeded filter media to start up my tanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
  7. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

Wouldn't that stress the fish worse than the cycle itself?

8. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

You need a test kit too if you don't have one. Stay on top of it. Once your tank is cycled it is less important to test all the time. Honestly after my tank is cycled to a month or so i dont ever test. I just monitor the tanks with my eyes. I havent had a death in any of my tanks in a year except for my guppies which caught some disease and all died while my other fish were fine.

having clean water? no that is a good always

9. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

OK. A popular trend in my tanks seems to be guppies are fine, then they get fin rot. Always tail fin.

10. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

how fast and how many tanks do you have?

My male guppies would nip each others fins so they look better to the ladies

11. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

Well, I had a bowl. then I moved to the 3 Gallon. One died of it after ALL of his fin rotted away. Now one has it and he has a big rip in his fin from it and the end if beginning to fray. It has been about 3 weeks since the other one died.

12. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

well no for sure but ammonia and maybe no air stone could be your main culprit there. u shouldn't keep guppies in a bowl without filtration.

In my experience guppies are the most prone to disease and death. I don't question when they die ( mostly because if you have 1 female you will have 1,000,000 guppies eventually)

13. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

He is in the 3 Gallon with a filter along with a new buddy. I don't mean to ignore this topic, but could we go back to what this thread was originally about? I mean, what should I do with the 3 gallon once I get the 20 Gallon?

14. flyinggogoValued MemberMember

lol whatever you want:) quarantine seems smart

15. ghardin

ghardinValued MemberMember

well with my old tanks, I'm getting some African Dwarf Frogs! They're just so darn cute!

16. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

I can't do frogs. Not big enough.

17. ghardin

ghardinValued MemberMember

What do you mean not big enough? A pair of ADFs would be perfect for your 3 gallons. You could throw in a snail, shrimp, or a couple of small ottos.

18. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

It's taller than Long.

19. OP
    OP
    TylerLovesFish

To my 20 gallon tank:

I wanted to have a "forest lake/river" theme to it. I was wondering what you guys suggested for beginners to have for that theme, such as plants and fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice