20 Gallon Tank Stocking - What Would You Do?

1. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

just curious as to if you got a 20 gallon tank what would you do with it? stocking and aquascape wise. :)
    I have a 20g tall and would love to hear what you would put in it and how you would decorate it. ;)

2. Anthony10 Member Member

My stock:

6 Cories
    1 or Dwarf Gourami

OR

1 Angelfish
    4 Cories

OR

7 Danios
    25 Glass shrimp
    5 Nerite snails

OR

3 Green Cobra Guppies for breeding 1m 2f

-Anthony

3. FiscCyning Member Member

Well first I'd move to a bigger house so I have room for the extra tank! ;)

Then I'd do a sanded and live planted tank with a nice school of cories. I'd also add either a betta or a breeding colony of cherry shrimp. But then, I'm quite partial to bettas! If you don't want a 20 gallon just devoted to shrimp or a single betta, I'd go with a school of small fish.

4. blusshed Well Known Member Member

This is what I did with my 20g :)

B1E62FAA-E233-4993-84EA-5C181ECC04F5_zpsq4krs6ii.jpg
    5CF92B8C-85BA-4ACF-BBB8-98CBEDD0F4EE_zps9pkbn1t5.jpg
    A32C11C7-D946-4A9E-B4A5-68F48D198BFA_zpsuki0kfxk.jpg

5. emmynk Well Known Member Member

I have a 20g tall shell dweller and cave dweller lake tang tank. Its awesome.
    I would also highly suggest doing a 3d background. They're so much fun!!

6. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Thats what i have. It has 6 serpae tetras, 5 albino cories, and a million ramshorns. Ignore the breeder net, i have cory eggs in it. [​IMG]

Its going to change in the next few days, i might have to set up a ten so some of the plants are going to be hijacked :)

7. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

what would you do?

Awesome guys, thanks! I'm so excited. :)
    having trouble on deciding how to stock it.
    I have sand in it right now. It will be planted with low light plants most likely, as this will be my first time doing love plants. :D
    Anthony10 I'm considering cories. Thanks for all the ideas!
    FiscCyning that actually sounds like the tank I have planned out in my head. Sand with lots of plants. I would do a betta in there but I actually just moved my betta boy out of it and started up a 10 g for him so I could have a community tank for the 20g instead.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/members-fish-tanks/173329-new-tank.html

blusshed WOW. That looks amazing! where'd you get the cave on the right? do you mind if I draw some inspiration from it? It looks just how I pictured mine. Put my thoughts into a picture :)
    emmynk- That tank sounds awesome! do you have any pictures of your shell dweller tank? They've intrigued me for a while, I just wasn't sure if I could pull it off. Basically the only thing that is holding me back from them is the offspring. What do you do with yours? Id love to see your setup.

Witchydesign Love love love all the plants! what's the 10g going up for? The serpae tetras are cool looking!

Thanks again for all of the ideas. :) I was just starting to get frustrated it and with stocking but all these new ideas have me excited again. I love pictures!

8. Andrew Sackett Member Member

9. blusshed Well Known Member Member

petaddiction of course not! I'd be honored!

i really love the calm look of my axxies tank! And for a fish tank that you could actually keep the light on? Would be even better! :
    ;)

i got it at petsmart! It's a reptile cave, and it said it could be in water, but put off a weird film that basically ruined my tank, I had to take everything out and wipe it off, it also decided to float? So I had to set a rock on top :/ but after a good tank cleaning, and wiping everything off it seems to do fine now! I don't think id buy it again LOL but the axxies needed a large enough cave, and that does the trick!

10. blusshed Well Known Member Member

theyre "axolotls" they're fully aquatic "salamanders" basically that stay in the larval state their entire lives. :)

they have pretty specific requirements and not a lot of people know.
    2 adults can live comfortably in a 20gal, I'd up it to a 29, or 30 if you were really going for keeping them, I felt like 20gal long was my best option, since the tank, filter, and hood were a gift from my mom for the axolotls...

the filter needs to be baffled, since water flow stresses them out, I use a floating turtle shelf under the outflow, they seem fine, they also cannot be housed on gravel, only fine sand or bare bottom, or people use "carpet" type flooring for them, they look like little aliens walking on grass!

They are also cold water, so anything above 70 F isn't ideal, 68 F and lower, is really much better...

They're definitely a convo starter when people visit my house and go "what's in this tank over here" and see 2 little axolotls staring at them!

Not sure if I've forgotten anything... Oh! The adults eat earth worms! Juvies can eat frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, live black worms... Feeding is a procedure, and training them to eat on their own can be a process, but can be done.

11. emmynk Well Known Member Member

They really are amazing creatures. Theyre salamanders though not newts:) also they can grow up to 14 inches, so I wouldn't say that two fully grown adults could live in a 20, I had my juvi grow up in a 20 and felt bad because he didn't have much space, so I moved him to a 40:)[​IMG][​IMG]
    And they've got some cute smiles!

12. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Emmy-
    do you have any pictures of you shell dweller set up?
    blusshed-
    what type of plants are in there?

13. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Whoops! Edited my post.

ive seen a lot of different set ups, and it can vary from Each individual axolotl. Some are more active.

14. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I have 2 fake plants, the one near the filter is suction cupped to the wall and I played with it and positioned it til I liked it, it's just a reptile plant, and the other is a "large" Petco plant. Just fake plants lol. :)

15. emmynk Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]