Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

20 Gallon Tank Stocking Idea Good Or Bad

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishyGlenda, Mar 29, 2019.

1. FishyGlendaValued MemberMember

I have a 20 gallon tropical freshwater high tank and the tetra internal whisper 20i filter. I’m currently cycling it (2nd week.) As I’m waiting, I decided to start thinking about what fish to keep inside. I came up with:
    -1 dwarf gourami (male)
    -6 Neón tetras (all males)
    -1 platy (male)
    -3 guppy (all males)
    -6 harlequin rasbora (all males)
    -1 molly (male)
    AqAdvice says that I should do a 30% water change weekly, I’m 101% stocked, and my filtration capacity for the above species is 61%. It’s recommending me to upgrade my filter so that it can go from a 61% to a 100%. I might or might not upgrade the filter. I want to, but it depends on what my mom says. She thinks I spent a ton of money on the aquarium hobby already. I’m going to TRY to get all males since I know some of these species can interbreed and reproduce. I don’t want any baby fish. I’m not sure if petsmart is going to allow me to pick the gender of every fish. Do these species get along together? Do I have enough fish of every species? I don’t want them to get lonely. I know some require to be in a school. Others do not. I know some people try to get an even distribution of top, middle, and bottom fish. But how important is that? Or is it just a preference to make the tank look fuller? I don’t think I have any bottom fish and can’t. I have gravel which would be too rough for any bottom fish like an albino Cory fish, etc. By the way, I know that every species requires a specific range of pH, temperature, etc, that the water has to be so that they can thrive. Since my tank is still cycling, I don’t know what the chemistry of my water is going to be like. But would you say that these species of fish have the same water needs? For example, similar ph needs. Similar temperature needs. Similar hardness. Basically, similar enough so that they can live together and be happy. And finally, what are your thoughts about this stocking idea? Should I modify it or is it perfect the way it is for the kind of tank i have?

Attached Files:

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

The first thing I'd do, is figure out what your water hardness is. Livebearers (mollies, guppies, and platties in this case) don't do well in soft water at all.
    Second, I'd go for a different type of smaller gourami. Dwarf gouramis are bred poorly and in terrible conditions, it's so bad they have a disease named after them: Dwarf Gourami Disease, or also known as Iridovirus. I'd personally do 3 honey gouramis instead.
    Other than that it all looks good
    Also, cory's and gravel, it's 100% ok. If your water is too soft, you could swap the livebearers for a school of them if you'd like. I'd say you'd still have more stocking room after that too

3. FishyGlendaValued MemberMember

I think I read that gouramis can be aggressive to each other if kept in groups. And that’s why I decided to go with one only. Do you really think keeping 3 honey goleamos would be fine? Wouldn’t they fight each other?

4. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

There are plenty peaceful gouramis too. Honey's are one of those. Just ask for 2 females and one male, they shouldn't fight at all. They might have an occasional disagreement, but nothing major

5. Ed1957Well Known MemberMember

In my opinion I would not get the molly and platy if you get the 3 honey Gourami. Molly and platy fish have a high bioload. I don't think you need to worry about the sex of the harlequin Rasbora or the neon Tetras. The neon Tetras will occupy lower mid and the harlequin Rasbora will occupy mid higher region of tank. I have them in a 36 bow front with a Dwarf Gourami and they look great together. The Dwarf Gourami is all over the tank. Good luck.