20 gallon tank ideas

The fish master 123456

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
im just starting out and thinking of fish for my 20 gallon aquarium
i was also thinking of getting live plants, any ideas on which ones are good to get and easy to take care of

nitrite-0
nitrate-10
amonia-0
ph-7.4
temp-80
hardness- inbetween hard and soft

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your aquarium information says the tank was started in 2009 and has fish in it.
Is this a different tank?

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
um try longfin zebra danios they are cool and very hardy also try sarpea tetras

i have the same kind of tank here are some pics for ideas

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Anubis, ludwigia and crypts are easy plants to care for and not too picky on conditions and ok in low light (i use ludwigia, crypts and amazon sword all in my tank). As I'm a relative newbie also, and don't want to mess with a fully planted tank, i keep my plants in little terracotta pots with some filter wool carefully wrapped around the roots to anchor too (the crypts and amazon sword i bought came this way) and a few pebbles on top to hold it in. So far they are thriving - and i can re-arrange my tank plants when i want a differnt look by moving the pots around!

I love bettas and they are a good size for your tank, but the danios etc have the reputation for being among the hardiest and entertaining fish when kept in a small school and probably a great idea while learning, plus you an add other fish and they should get along fine, though i hear they can be nippy sometimes. White clouds also have a reputation for being very hardy but lack the nippy factor, and for this reason i keep them and have found them beautiful and very personable little fish (who also are kind to my betta).

Best of luck, and do lots of research anything you consider buying first - i've had no problems since hitting the internet hard and asking questions on fish forums!

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Anubis, ludwigia and crypts are easy plants to care for and not too picky on conditions and ok in low light (i use ludwigia, crypts and amazon sword all in my tank). As I'm a relative newbie also, and don't want to mess with a fully planted tank, i keep my plants in little terracotta pots with some filter wool carefully wrapped around the roots to anchor too (the crypts and amazon sword i bought came this way) and a few pebbles on top to hold it in. So far they are thriving - and i can re-arrange my tank plants when i want a differnt look by moving the pots around!

I love bettas and they are a good size for your tank, but the danios etc have the reputation for being among the hardiest and entertaining fish when kept in a small school and probably a great idea while learning, plus you an add other fish and they should get along fine, though i hear they can be nippy sometimes. White clouds also have a reputation for being very hardy but lack the nippy factor, and for this reason i keep them and have found them beautiful and very personable little fish (who also are kind to my betta).

Best of luck, and do lots of research anything you consider buying first - i've had no problems since hitting the internet hard and asking questions on fish forums!

The fish master 123456

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes this is a different tank i just got. sorry for the mix up

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore. I see that you use stress zyme.

Stresszyme (and many other bacteria boosters like Cycle, etc.) contain non-aquatic bacteria. It drowns/dies in about a week, and that is why the bottle says to add it weekly. This is expensive and dangerous. The bottled bacteria eats the ammonia in the tank, which is why you get good readings. However, it can starve out the natural bacteria you need to cycle your tank. With the addition of the weekly-bacteria-in-a-bottle, your tank cannot complete the natural biological cycle.

I worry about the usage of this and similar products. The success of your tank relies solely on consistent and precise dosing. If you miss a time, or don't add enough, or add too much, or overfeed so there's a bit extra ammonia, etc., your tank can crash because it never cycled.

I know the stores push these products, but they make a lot of money off of weekly-addition products. And sad to say, they also make money on replacement fish.

I would suggest not using these types of products. Cycle your tank with daily water changes with Prime water conditioner, or buy some Tetra Safe Start. TSS is the only product on the market with the correct bacteria. If you use it, make sure you buy that exact product. It's a one-time use, and for most members who used it, has helped cycle the tank (not all members have had success though).

If you've been using it this whole time in your other tank, and have successfully maintained your cycle with no fish loss, then can you tell us about that, since we advise people to avoid it? I would encourage you to try your new tank without it.

Anyway, I know this was off-topic, and not at all what you asked, but I thought I'd throw the information your way.

The fish master 123456

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
it is already cycled, i put it in every time i do a water change

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads