20 gallon tank help

1. mga1603

mga1603 New Member Member

hello! I currently have a 10 gallon tank with 3 platies and an apple snail. I haven't had this tank for very long, but I have done LOTS of research on fish tanks, fish, and other various products. while doing all of my research, I have found that a 20 gallon tank has lots more options of fish and stock than my 10 gallon. I am interested in selling my 10 gallon tank and getting a 20 gallon long tank. I have a 90 gph filter and a heater. so, I have a few questions.
    •can I put a 90gph filter in a 20gal? or is this too small?
    •what community fish could I put in my tank? I want as many fish as possible and easy to take care of. I also want fish that can be with my 3 platies.

thanks in advance!!
    mga

2. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Maybe stock your tank with something like this?
    3x Platys
    8-10x Neon tetra
    5x Shrimp (Amano, Ghost, cherry, etc.)
    6x Panda cories
    1x Apple snail

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A 90 GPH filter is too small for a 20 gal. For an HOB, you want 8-10x the volume of the tank in GPH, so 160-200 GPH total. You can use the 90 GPH filter and add another one, or you can replace the 90 GPH filter with another one.

What size in the heater?

What about something like this?

3x Platies
    10x Ember tetras
    10x Celestial pearl danios
    8-10x Panda cories
    10x RCS

4. A

Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

For my 20 gallon high I have a aqua clear 50 with a penguin 100b my water is clear and I don't have to worry about it being dirty. I have 11 serpae tetra and 1 female betta

5. A

[​IMG]

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Do you mean guppy? That doesn't look like a female betta.

7. A

Sorry there is also a female gupy but the betta isn't in the shot. It was hiding

8. A

[​IMG]

Here's another picture of the tank which had 6 emperor tetra which sadly had ick and they died. You can see the betta in this pic. I also had hair algae ( which is a pain in the butt) which is why in Tue first pic the bunch of hornwort is no longer there since I had tried to get rid of the infested hornworts. Sadly my carpet of staurogyne repens also died due to rust leaking in to the aquarium killing most of the java ferns and s.repens.