20 Gallon Tank 20 Gallon Tall Stocking

LaniKai

I've had this tank for a long time and I have only a betta in it currently. While I'm sure he loves it I'm going to downsize him into my dived 20 gallon long tank. However that leaves my 20 gallon tall (24" x 12" x 16") tank empty. The tank would have a Fluval HOB 20 gal filter on it. It would be heavily planted with lots of rock so lots of hiding places. It has a smooth gravel substrate, I don't really know what kind it is but as far as I can see and feel it has no sharp edges. Would something like this workout?

15 Chili Rasbora
6 Sparkling Gourami
8 Pygmy Corydora (would the substrate be okay? I know they normally prefer sand)

Does anyone see any problems? Should I just skip the cory's? Should I get fewer Rasbora's or Gourami's?

fallfever

I think your stocking is ok, but that really is limited filtration. If you add another 20 HOB you should be fine. More filtration is always better. And sand is ideal for cories but I've had mine thrive with gravel, too. I'd worry more about the gourami if they breed with the chilis than with the cories, but you've got a nice size school.

Upvote 0

LaniKai

I think your stocking is ok, but that really is limited filtration. If you add another 20 HOB you should be fine. More filtration is always better. And sand is ideal for cories but I've had mine thrive with gravel, too. I'd worry more about the gourami if they breed with the chilis than with the cories, but you've got a nice size school.
The lid that I have won't allow another HOB filter. If I left the sponge filter in there would that be okay? another thing I could try to do is wait until I upgrade my filter to get the corydora.

Upvote 0

fallfever

Oh yeah, sponge filter works just as well. Plenty of folks use them as primaries even. You should be fine.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cichlidL
Replies
Views
Mii
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank 20 gal stocking
Replies
Views