20 Gallon Tall Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fishoholic23, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Fishoholic23

Fishoholic23Well Known MemberMember

I was wondering what fish I could have to fill up my 20 gallon again. Right now it has 7 harlequin rasboras, one male platy, and a female ram. I am planning on increasing the school of rasboras from 7 to 10 and adding a female and male ram to my one female ram. I am wondering if I could out in a few Wrestling Halfbeaks, or some Peacock Gobies. If not, what suggestions?

2. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

Hello! I'd avoid the goby and good call with the harlequins. I can't help you with halfbeaks, though. I wouldn't add another ram because they could get aggressive, especially during breeding. I'd get some more platies (male if you don't want to deal with fry) they can live alone but prefer friends. Any other fish you were looking into? I keep a 20 myself. And just curious, what kind of ram is she?

3. OP
    OP
    Fishoholic23

Ok, I was thinking the goby was a long shot, and looking into it the Halfbeaks are a little out of the temp range. My female ram is a German Blue Ram, and I know they can get aggressive. I don't think it would be too much of a problem because mine has lots of hiding spots and plants. I was thinking platies too, but not sure if I would enjoy more, plus my single one now is aggressive towards other platies. Do you have any other ideas? I have had a dwarf gourami in the past but not sure if I want another.

4. MattS99

Still wouldn't try rams. Only had bad experiences with DGs. I like honey gouramis though! Smaller, but a lot more peaceful. Prettier too.

5. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Do you like this?
    10x harlequin rasboras
    6x aenus cories (bronze & albino; they're just morphs of the same fish)
    1x ram

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. MattS99

Cories aren't temperature compatable with the others. Especially the rams. And he said it's a German.

7. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

If it's the german blue ram, sterbais, emeralds, albinos, bronze can work.

8. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Ohhh ok I didn't see that! Thanks for the clarification! I edited the post.

9. OP
    OP
    Fishoholic23

I have heard corys won't work well with rams? I was thinking cories earlier, but I dont love them. Honey gouramis might work though.:emoji_thinking:

10. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Cories usually do well with rams.

Honey gouramis can work. They are extremely peaceful

11. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

If you're going to have 3 rams in this tank, I wouldn't add any other bottom dwellers. Footprint is not long enough.

You could have a single honey gourami.

12. MattS99

I wouldn't even do 3 in that tank. Too much agression.

13. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

With enough hiding places, it could work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice