20 gallon stocking

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My 10 gallon tank from petsmart started a leaking so i went out and bought myself a 20 gallon (since it was on sale and id get a full refund on the 10 gallon). But now I feel like I'm going to be super understocked.
currently i have:
- 1 mystery snail
- 4 ghost shrimps
- 4 sunburst platies

tank is planted and not cycled currently due to the emergency situation. However I used all decor, gravel and filter media from the previous tank.

Anyone know a stock calculator that's really good and have any suggestions? I really like algae eaters but I could also. go for a baby female betta

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
gregoranddexter1816 said:
My 10 gallon tank from petsmart started a leaking so i went out and bought myself a 20 gallon (since it was on sale and id get a full refund on the 10 gallon). But now I feel like I'm going to be super understocked.
currently i have:
- 1 mystery snail
- 4 ghost shrimps
- 4 sunburst platies

tank is planted and not cycled currently due to the emergency situation. However I used all decor, gravel and filter media from the previous tank.

Anyone know a stock calculator that's really good and have any suggestions? I really like algae eaters but I could also. go for a baby female betta
That is understocked. You should make it at least 8 sunburst and maybe 8 ghost shrimp. You can also add some more fish too of a different kind.

OP
gregoranddexter1816

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
FishGuy4563 said:
That is understocked. You should make it at least 8 sunburst and maybe 8 ghost shrimp. You can also add some more fish too of a different kind.
ok i wont fully stock until its cycled so it doesn't overload the BB. But i JUSt found a freaking platy fry!!!!! Any advice on raising it? Itll start in a mech breeder box. Idk what to feed it though

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you have platy fry I probably wouldn't get more fish. Its likely that the tank will be fully stocked because of that. If it was male platys only I would've personally gone with something like bronze corydoras(assuming the platys got along).
P.S. 20 long or high?

OP
gregoranddexter1816

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
flyinGourami said:
If you have platy fry I probably wouldn't get more fish. Its likely that the tank will be fully stocked because of that. If it was male platys only I would've personally gone with something like bronze corydoras(assuming the platys got along).
P.S. 20 long or high?
yeah i don't plan on keeping the fry in the future but i think it'll be nice to have just one that i raised.

OP
gregoranddexter1816

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah i don't plan on keeping the fry in the future but i think it'll be nice to have just one that i raised.
high

OP
gregoranddexter1816

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Treestone said:
I think your stocking is just right for that size tank (could be a good no water change tank with a couple of changes)
yeah I'm totally fine changing water though. But that's a good idea. once everything in this tank dies off (i bought everything at a big name pet store so i know the breeding isn't fantastic) I want to have a serious heavily planted tank., id consider current planting light since they haven't had time to grow. BUT I was thinking of getting myself a Dwarf Gourami? I think it would tie the whole tank together and they're really beautiful. Plus its compatible with my tank.

Treestone

Reaction score
yeah I'm totally fine changing water though. But that's a good idea. once everything in this tank dies off (i bought everything at a big name pet store so i know the breeding isn't fantastic) I want to have a serious heavily planted tank., id consider current planting light since they haven't had time to grow. BUT I was thinking of getting myself a Dwarf Gourami? I think it would tie the whole tank together and they're really beautiful. Plus its compatible with my tank.
Dwarf gouramis are very weakly bred ime but the quality here isn't that good anyway. If you can find a nice one tho its a good idea

OP
gregoranddexter1816

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Treestone said:
Dwarf gouramis are very weakly bred ime but the quality here isn't that good anyway. If you can find a nice one tho its a good idea
ok sounds good! Never kept one and always wanted to. Will it be too aggressive though?

New Threads