20 Gallon Stocking

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have decided that my female betta sorority won’t work which means I can choose something less of a hassle.
I want to get a school of fish in this tank for a community tank, specifically looking for smaller fish in good numbers. I do not want any bottom dwellers as of right now, maybe in the future.

Any suggestions?
I would really like a species of gourami if I could. I almost want to go simple with the stocking and just pick out a livebearer at PetCo, or a small schooling fish.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rich Johnson said:
I'd go for a school of 9 - 12 cardinal or neon tetras. Maybe a male dwarf gourami. They are very colorful and generally peaceful.
Okay, I cannot do neons because they aren't great where I currently shop at.
I have also had very bad luck with Dwarf Gouramis, lost three of them weeks after purchase.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Remind me if you're close to Houston? I have Laubuka in my 20 gal long and I love them - such a great little fish. Some LFS in Houston get them in occasionally.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TexasDomer said:
Remind me if you're close to Houston? I have Laubuka in my 20 gal long and I love them - such a great little fish. Some LFS in Houston get them in occasionally.
I live in Fort Worth

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Darn! Any chance your LFS could order fish for you, or are you limited to what they have in stock?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TexasDomer said:
Darn! Any chance your LFS could order fish for you, or are you limited to what they have in stock?
Possibly, they can order usually anything I want

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would go with a unique gourami species and a nano dither species - maybe a group of croaking gourami and an Asian schooling species, like one of the Boraras?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TexasDomer said:
I would go with a unique gourami species and a nano dither species - maybe a group of croaking gourami and an Asian schooling species, like one of the Boraras?
I have been wanting to do Ember Tetras for a long time, and I have interest in Panda Cories.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think I will make a trip to my local PetCo, and summarize all the possibilities of a 20 long stocking.
Then I can narrow it down to what I really want to keep in there.

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For my 20 long I either want 4-5 female bettas or a couple of honey sunset gouramis. I will probably do 3 honey sunsets, and a school of cherry barbs. Also considering some type of colorful shrimps, some shrimps that really...really POP with color.

Good luck figuring it out.

I know gouramis normally don't work together, but I think honeys are an exception along with chocolate gouramis which chocolates are hard to do though cause they're sensitive. I kept 2 honeys together (55 gal though), and 5 chocolates together in a 20 long before.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
@TexasDomer
I almost completely forgot, I have a Honey Gourami that I ordered a week ago that is arriving in a few days, I just have to go pick it up at my LFS.
Let's try to stock around the gourami

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TexasDomer said:
So something like this?

1-3x Honey gourami
10x Panda cories
8x Cherry barbs or 8x neons or 12x embers
Possibly! I will keep you updated