20 Gallon Stocking Question

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i am done cycling my 20 long. Have tons of plants. And they seem to already be growing in nicely. Even noticed new growth. however it is my first heavily planted tank of decent size. I need some suggestions on stocking. I was reading about pygmy gourami/sparkling gourami. They seem to be small. Would multiple be okay for this tank? Maybe like 4?

DanniD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think four is a good number for that size tank. You might even get more if you want to do a species tank, which would be pretty cool!

If you don't want to do a species tank, a school of nanofish would be pretty cool. Maybe amber tetras?

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, I keep sparkling gourami. You'd be fine with 4 in a 20 g. I keep mine with chili rasbora, but ember tetras would work, so would green neon tetras.

Mine spawn constantly, they can be a bit territorial towards tank mates when spawning so having loads of plants help to give tank mates hiding spaces.

They are beautiful fish, I really enjoy hearing them croak.

Mike1995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ddelpinal said:
I think four is a good number for that size tank. You might even get more if you want to do a species tank, which would be pretty cool!

If you don't want to do a species tank, a school of nanofish would be pretty cool. Maybe amber tetras?
Mazeus said:
Hey, I keep sparkling gourami. You'd be fine with 4 in a 20 g. I keep mine with chili rasbora, but ember tetras would work, so would green neon tetras.

Mine spawn constantly, they can be a bit territorial towards tank mates when spawning so having loads of plants help to give tank mates hiding spaces.

They are beautiful fish, I really enjoy hearing them croak.
awesome thank you! If i did a species tank of just them, would a bunch of pygmy cories be okay with them as well?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom