20 Gallon Stocking Question

1. Mctom1

Mctom1 Initiate Member

I have a 20 gallon tank currently with only 4 white cloud minnows in. (I did have some fry but unfortunately didn't survive and were getting sucked into the filter)

My main fish I'm heading for eventually is my Betta. I know some people don't agree with having them in community tanks but I read a lot and I'm willing to try.

My question is what I can stock now before adding the Betta. My plan was some neons, endlers and corys. But looking at the minnows darting around the tank I already feel this would be too much and heard neons can be nippers too if not kept in high enough numbers.

I still want my Endlers though and wondered how many would be possible with around 5 minnows, one betta and possibly a few corys if that's not going to be much. And should I get all males? Maybe Pygmy cories if the minnows, endlers and betta are too much?

I'm love my white clouds though. My favourite has gone from the first photo to in the second in about 3 weeks which has made getting into this hobby rewarding already! They're so underrated.

IMG_3158.PNG IMG_3159.PNG

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    Wow, he's a beauty. Watch that area by his dorsal. Looks like saprolegnia. Could just be the picture but better to keep an eye open for problems right?

3. OP
    OP
    Mctom1

Mctom1 Initiate Member

Thanks for the info Kimberly! I checked that out and then realised what you meant but that's a piece of gravel in the background of the cave blurred out! It's still good to have learned something new though. Unless you mean something else?

I'm concerned about the temperature though. The fish shop had them in with a Betta and since learnt they're better at lower temps but they seem mega happy and watched them spawn again this morning and dump a load of eggs.

4. KimberlyG

That's awesome then! (My eyes are used to looking for disease. sorry) The white clouds do okay at a higher temp but there is a trade off. They don't live as long. I don't have them. I have gold clouds in my unheated electric blue crayfish tank along with some black bar endlers. Mine spawn all the time. (I let nature take it's course. I've never had eggs actually hatch, it could be the crayfish. lol)

5. OP
    OP
    Mctom1

Mctom1 Initiate Member

Lol thanks Kimberly, it's a good thing as really do appreciate the info. I'm going to have to rethink the tank situation then since really like these guys and seems cruel not to keep them as they should be! Maybe it's an excuse to already buy my second tank... lol

6. BuddyD

BuddyD Member Member

Tank: Regular 20 gallon or 20 gallon Long?

7. KimberlyG

Definitely an excuse to buy a second tank! It's all about the fish.

8. OP
    OP
    Mctom1

Mctom1 Initiate Member

Haha Kimberly. Thanks for the confirmation that's all I needed!

Hi Buddy, it's a regular 20 gallon?

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Bettas need warmer temps than neons and WCMMs.
    What are the dimensions? 30 by 12 or 24 by 12?