20 gallon stocking ideas

malety31

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
24
Experience
Just started
I have a 20 gallon long planted aquarium with 6 black skirt tetra and I would like to add some more diversity to the tank whether it be fish, snails, shrimp etc., anything goes! I am open to any and all opinions/ideas. Thanks!
 
Best Answer - View malety31's answer
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
malety31

malety31

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
24
Experience
Just started
UnknownUser said:
Nerite snails are my favorite algae cleaners and they don’t reproduce in the tank.

Corydoras are my favorite bottom dwellers and you could do like 8-10 pygmy corys in a 20 gal long.
Thank you for the ideas! I have looked at some corys but I have been advised against them because my substrate is eco complete which others say is to jagged.
 

JettsPapa

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
4,226
Location
Grimes County, Texas
Experience
Just started
  1. Add a school of one of the smaller corys for the bottom, along with a few honey gouramis, or . . .
  2. . . . add another school of tetras or a similar schooling fish (serpae tetras are one of my favorites, and would look good with the black skirts), or . . .
  3. . . . add a school of white skirts. They'll school with the black ones, since they're the same species.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
malety31

malety31

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
24
Experience
Just started
Would the serpae work with the black skirts? I though that both of them were fin nippers.
 

UnknownUser

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,582
Reaction score
1,057
Experience
Just started
malety31 said:
Thank you for the ideas! I have looked at some corys but I have been advised against them because my substrate is eco complete which others say is to jagged.
Ay, phooey! I had mine on eco complete for 6 months and they were fine. I’ve actually noticed some missing whiskers now that they’re on black diamond blasting sand (which I may make a thread about later....). I believe in the people who say it’s about water quality and not substrate choice.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
malety31

malety31

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
24
Experience
Just started
UnknownUser said:
Ay, phooey! I had mine on eco complete for 6 months and they were fine. I’ve actually noticed some missing whiskers now that they’re on black diamond blasting sand (which I may make a thread about later....). I believe in the people who say it’s about water quality and not substrate choice.
This sounds great! My LFS doesn’t have pygmy corys, are there any others that would do fine in a 20 gallon?
 

JettsPapa

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
4,226
Location
Grimes County, Texas
Experience
Just started
malety31 said:
Would the serpae work with the black skirts? I though that both of them were fin nippers.
They both have that reputation, but I've come to believe that it's mostly a result of people having just a few of them in a tank. If they have enough of their own species they'll focus their attention on each other instead of the other fish in the tank.

I posted a question about that a while back and didn't get any responses with information to the contrary (I know that doesn't prove my point, but it certainly doesn't discredit it). See Serpae tetra aggression | 456533 | Serpae Tetra.

malety31 said:
This sounds great! My LFS doesn’t have pygmy corys, are there any others that would do fine in a 20 gallon?
Pandas would be okay. I think paleatus would also work.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
malety31

malety31

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
24
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
They both have that reputation, but I've come to believe that it's mostly a result of people having just a few of them in a tank. If they have enough of their own species they'll focus their attention on each other instead of the other fish in the tank.

I posted a question about that a while back and didn't get any responses with information to the contrary (I know that doesn't prove my point, but it certainly doesn't discredit it). See Serpae tetra aggression | 456533 | Serpae Tetra.
How many of each would you recommend to dial down agression?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
malety31

malety31

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
24
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
If black skirts and serpaes are all you'll have in the tank I'd do 7 or 8 of each.
Could I add corys with this stocking?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
malety31

malety31

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
24
Experience
Just started
Slightly unrelated but at my local PetSmart they have red minor tetras, are these the same as serpae tetra?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
malety31

malety31

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
24
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
  1. Add a school of one of the smaller corys for the bottom, along with a few honey gouramis, or . . .
  2. . . . add another school of tetras or a similar schooling fish (serpae tetras are one of my favorites, and would look good with the black skirts), or . . .
  3. . . . add a school of white skirts. They'll school with the black ones, since they're the same species.
Instead of honey gouramis would a dwarf gourami work?
 

JettsPapa

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
4,226
Location
Grimes County, Texas
Experience
Just started
malety31 said:
Slightly unrelated but at my local PetSmart they have red minor tetras, are these the same as serpae tetra?
Yes, they're the same.

malety31 said:
Instead of honey gouramis would a dwarf gourami work?
If you can find one that isn't sick, and won't be aggressive to the other tank mates, then yes.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
malety31

malety31

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
24
Experience
Just started
How does this sound?
3x Honey Gourami
6x Black Skirt Tetra
6x Panda Corys
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
malety31

malety31

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
24
Experience
Just started
how should I introduce the fish? Should I introduce the corys first and see how they get along and then if all is well, add the honey gouramis?
 

UnknownUser

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,582
Reaction score
1,057
Experience
Just started
malety31 said:
how should I introduce the fish? Should I introduce the corys first and see how they get along and then if all is well, add the honey gouramis?
Both are very peaceful species, I don’t think it matters which you do first. But when you introduce, feed less the days leading up to reduce poop (ammonia) and then slowly increase to a normal amount of feeding to help prevent a spike as your cycle catches up.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
malety31

malety31

Active Member
Member
Messages
68
Reaction score
24
Experience
Just started
Thank you for the replies, I will be posting pictures when I get them!
 

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
218
Guests online
3,279
Total visitors
3,497

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom