20 gallon stocking help

1. fishfry70

fishfry70 Valued Member Member

Hi
    I have just gotten a 20 gallon high tank. I will be putting in live plants as soon as I get some. But I am not sure yet about what fish I want, right now I am thinking about 2 Angelfish and some Cardinal Tetras, would that be okay?
    If not what are some fish that would work well in a 20 gal. community tank?
    I really like Cardinal Tetras, Zebra Danios, Swordtails, and Angel fish.
    Also what are some hardy fish that I could get before the nitrogen cycle is complete?

2. Phishphin

Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome to fishlore!

Angels, while beautiful, would grow too large for your tank. The swordtails and cardinal tetras may be more appropriate. The zebra danios require cooler temperatures than the other fish you have listed and would not do well in a tank geared towards tropical fish. Consider dwarf gourami or honey gourami or killifish gardneri as an alternative to the angelfish.

I wrote an article, not to long ago, on tall tanks just like yours that you may be interested in checking out. :)

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/293-making-most-out-your-small-tower-fish-tank.html

edit: You should also be aware that swordtails and neons are on opposite ends of what they like for PH. One thing I'd recommend is to get a good water test kit (API freshwater) and use it on your faucet's tap. If it is acidic, great for tetras. If it is more alkaline, great for swordtails. Not all folks do this, but I've found it helpful when considering stocking a tank.

3. OP
    OP
    fishfry70

Thanks for the advice, and I will read your article.
    :;thx

4. OP
    OP
    fishfry70

What would be a good tank mate for Platies?