20 Gallon Stocking/Failed Betta Sorority

BenjiBear

Hey!

So I currently have a 20 gallon that I've had for about 8-9 months and it's been a huge learning experience for me, way more than my smaller tanks. I've truthfully lost a lot of fish in it but it's now been just over a year since I started fishkeeping and it is indeed quite a hard thing to really get a hold on.

However, most recently it was a betta sorority tank. It went well for a few months with 7 girls total until 1 girl had to be removed because she was so afraid of the others she wouldn't come for food and was getting underweight. Then 2 of the girls literally dissapeared overnight. Never found bodies or any evidence they'd been killed etc just gone. So this disrupted my numbers, leaving me with 4. One recently got popeye as she was getting picked on the most it seemed so she was removed. 3 just wont seem to cut it for me and ive decided I'll enjoy the bettas more seperated like my males are of course. So it'll be a bit of time before i can comfortably make that happen but in the mean time im keeping an eye on the remaning 3 and i do have small hospital tanks (only 2 gallons) if i absolutely have to seperate the last girls.

So this leads onto my true question here.

I've decided along my journey so far that i much prefer singular fish. I've tried schooling fish and i just dont enjoy them as much/find it hard to care for them. My favourite fish are Bettas and Plecos and if i could afford it my dream tank would be a massive one where i could have a common pleco or a sailfin and also have an oscar. One can dream.

So im wondering once i seperate the girls, what "bigger" singular fish can i keep in a 20 gallon? I already have a 5" bristlenose who'll be staying in there but he's pretty shy. Ive tried looking up ideas but most are suggesting schools of fish.

Thanks! :)

MyFishAddiction

Not a fish, but an axolotl would work in a 20 gallon long short term. You may look in to puffers. I know jmaldo has one in a 20. Not sure what kind.

BenjiBear

Not a fish, but an axolotl would work in a 20 gallon long short term. You may look in to puffers. I know jmaldo has one in a 20. Not sure what kind.

I love the idea of an axoltol but i have to keep my plec in there
However i am interested in puffers! I'll look into that one :)

MyFishAddiction

Right! forgot about the pleco.

carsonsgjs

I love the idea of an axoltol but i have to keep my plec in there
However i am interested in puffers! I'll look into that one :)
Not entirely sure I would do pea puffers with a pleco - I’d keep them in a species only tank but the setup would have to be right to keep multiple puffers. Plus, pea puffers are absolutely tiny so may not meet the size requirement you are after.

If you are after a single ‘bigger’ fish maybe look at a dwarf cichlid like an apistogramma?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Briggs
Replies
Views
BettasGalore
Replies