20 gallon:stock suggestions?

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I want to breed something in a 20 gallon tank I have. I already have EVERY type of livebearer so I don't want more of them. I also already have a breeding pair of angels(no more of those either) so any suggestions?

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As I suggested before when you wanted to breed, barbs

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I can't find any barbs around me for anything lower than 4 dollars each and no one has responded to my wanted ad. I thought id try again with asking something else.. something cheaper maybe??

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Every type of Livebearer eh You mean the common ones

I would go with a school of something like barbs or tetras

Is it high or long?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
there's plenty of other livebearers just not as easy to breed, wrestling halfbeaks and anableps are just 2 of them

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How bout some type of Goodied or you can start working on diffrent fin types

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
or maybe get into some of the smaller egg layers like the rasboras or danios, that way you can stock several in the tank to increase your breeding rate. I'm not sure what exactly you are attempting to do, if you are planning to make money then you are going to need to turn over a lot of fish, or have the capacity to breed the really expensive ones.

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't like the danios as they sell for a dollar here I have never owned rasboras. I like to breed fish but id like to make money too

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Longfin Blue eyed plecos sell for a lot or you can try getting some other type of pleco

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A colony of shelldwellers? You could have a colony of 6 adults in your tank When the magazine comes out in the upcoming days there should be a shell dweller breeding article in it which I wrote

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
there are several types of danios not just the zebra ones, and they sell for several dollars each.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but breeding fish really just isn't a money maker. No matter what fish you breed you will probably just break even unless you are mass producing nicer more expensive fish.

Personally I'd go with a rarer type of live bearer. Like if you look on aqua bid for instance there are a few different kinds of guppys and there are a couple kinds that are a nice bit of pocket change for them. Outside that maybe dwarf rainbows?

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have angelfish which should sell for a decent amount. tell me about shell dwellers, please ben.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, what would you like to know?

My article is quite large

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
do you have it accessible? if so pm me with the whole thing?

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
shell dwellers are cool but I think i'd like to see them a little more often and I don't have anywhere to get shells for them. any other suggestions.?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would go wit some Killifish. Something other than Golden Wonders as they are pretty common. Most Killis are easy to breed & hard to find. That might make you a few dollars but I agree that unless your doing mass breeding you won't make much money out of it. Maybe just enough to pay for some extra food or water conditioner or something like that.

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
the reason I think I will make money is because I got all of my tanks for less than 10 dollars each and to complete their set ups I have spent I total of about 250 for my 5 tanks 45,30,30,30,10 and that includes filters air pumps lighting AND fish.. so I think I will make money. no where around me has kilifish. should I get on Ebay and look for some eggs?are the eggs easy to hatch?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Check out Aquabid! They've got TONS of killis and killI eggs for sale!

Also, have you considered a mouthbrooding species of betta? I believe (correct me if I'm wrong everyone) that only the splendens have to be kept separate from each other. The others can be kept in schools or pairs.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JOSH - if there is no where to get all these fish where you are, then those are the fish you ought to look to breed . However, the ONLY way you're going to make any real money breeding fish is to breed rare, expensive fish....and that means buying stock that's expensive. As BB suggested, aquabid is your best bet.

It takes an investment of money in order to make money.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads