20 Gallon Stock - Red Cherry Shrimp

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by n9ke, Jul 29, 2015.

1. n

n9ke New Member Member

Hello, my 20 High tank has the following parameters:
    Recently completed cycle, gravel substrate, new plants started, six groups of stem plants, 2 amazon swords, 2 banana plants, and some hairgrass planted in a spread out pattern. Light is provided by the led hood from the kit.

Tank water is very hard, ph of 8, no ammonia, no nitrites, less than 2ppm nitrates. Currently testing daily, and a 15% water change takes place when nitrates increase at all. I will be moving more towards a single 25% weekly wc. Filter is aqueon 30, with bio ceramics and the original filter media minus the charcoal in filter. Parameters very stable. Currently using the non adjustable heater that came with the package, will be moving to a heater that is adjustable, but tank temp is currently about 81.

Have a larger size piece of driftwood, and a rough rock structure with a couple of holes in it for protection. if i go the route I am outlining here, i will add a split clay pot as a cave, and a clay saucer for a flat feeding area. Will also add a moss ball if i go with the shrimp.

The inhabitants currently are 6 black skirt tetra who are quite active, added 2 weeks ago.

I would like to add at least 10, maybe 20 red cherry shrimp, and I am curious if the aggressive nature of the black skirts is too much for the shrimp.

I would then complete the loading of the tank with small schooling group, such as chili rasbora, or some other small colorful group that is active. I would appreciate some input as to the species that would go well with the tetra and the shrimp.

Thanks for your input,

Kevin

2. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

Believe your tetra's will enjoy the Cherry shrimp dinner. Do not believe you are going to like the results of housing them. Suggest you try the larger ghost shrimp and see how they do.

3. OP
    OP
    n

n9ke New Member Member

Thanks BLK, I appreciate your thoughts. I guess they might be the happiest tetras in the area. I will proceed in another direction.

4. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

I have been reading where folks are having success housing cherry shrimp in as small as 1 gallon tanks. Maybe a small shrimp only tank would be a good place to start.

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yes you can keep cherry shrimp in a 1 gallon tank. Shrimp tanks are very cool :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

Larger cherry shrimp may do ok with the tetras but small one will almost certainly be eaten.

Your best bet may be to start a small cherry shrimp colony in a smaller tank that you can periodically move larger individuals from. That way you won't have to worry about the black skirts wiping out your colony but you'll still be able to try out cherries in the main tank.

7. OP
    OP
    n

n9ke New Member Member

Interesting thoughts. Thank you all

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice