20 gallon stock question.

1. jlallard Member Member

So as of right now in my tank I have 2 platies, 3 black skirt tetras and 3 cories. I've had horrible luck with my platies as a bunch of you know and I'm ready to try something new. I love my cories and tetras but I want something colorful in my tank as well. A centerpiece fish really and I was wondering. Would a dwarf gourami be okay? Any other suggestions would be awesome!!! Thanks guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Considering that your pH is 7 and that platies have not been happy with you, I may actually break my rule of never recommending dwarf gouramis ;)

But first things first: you need to finish out your shoals. Your tetras and your cories would really appreciate having three more buddies of each type. Having reasonably sized shoals decreases stress among your fish and your entire tank, supporting a good immune system.

Are you planning on re homing your last two Platies?

3. jlallard Member Member

As of right now I'm going to keep my last 2 platies as long as I can, but if I have to I'll bring them back to the store. Also, if I finish out my shoals, would I still have room in the 20 gallon?

4. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

You will have enough room, but just take it easy and don't rush yourself. Do you have a quarantine tank?

5. jlallard Member Member

I did and then I bought a betta so not really :/

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Please don't tell me that this Betta is in your community tank. No, really, I just can't handle the stress of even imagining that one ;)

Edit: oh wait I get it--the QT tank is now the Betta tank. Time to get tank #3. Ooh, MTS fast approaching and more potential stress...

7. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Completing the shoals will be of greater importance than introducing new species. I find a lot of little fish to be more interesting than a single "center piece" fish. :)