20 Gallon Standard

?

What fish should i add to my 20 gallon high tank?

1. 2 more kuhli loaches

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 10 ember tetras

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. nothing

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. or even 4 java loaches

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ap4lmtree

ap4lmtree Well Known Member Member

Hi. I currently have a 20 gallon high with 1 yellow female betta, 10 kuhli loaches, and 11 amano shrimp and a fluval 206 filter and 6 tall amazon swords and hornwort and an airstone and lots of pipe hiding places for kuhli loaches and a floating abs pipe for my betta

currently, aquadvisor says my stocking level is 88%

now, i was thinking about adding 2 more kuhli loaches and being stocked at 98% according to aqadvisor or should i add 10 ember tetras and be 104% overstocked? or i could even add 4 java kuhli loaches and be overstocked at 102%

i have a good filter and my hornwort keeps my nitrates below 10 and 5 ppm

and i can do weekly water changes of 30% to 50%

how would my betta interact with ember tetras, would she be stimulated by them and sometimes chase them and not be so bored

or should i add kuhli loaches and make them more happy?

would 4 java loaches schoal with kuhli loaches or would they group without them?

thanks

2. Adam Alston

Adam Alston New Member Member

Lower the tetras to get 100% full, you don't want to suddenly spike the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites in your tank. If your betta was male, then caution would be advised with tetras in the tank. Since your betta is female, she should be okay with tetras. They would probably stimulate her and keep her entertained.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

10 kuhli loaches is a lot for a 20 tall which doesn't have a big footprint. I would not add anymore loaches.

Mid dwellers are not a good choice with bettas. Bettas will usually tolerate bottom dwelling fish (like loaches) but mid dwellers are much more risky. If everything is going fine right now why change it?

4. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

It's not a good choice to keep top-mid dwellers with bettas in 20 gallon tanks. So no ember tetras. Also, do not use Aqadvisor, it is extremely inaccurate.

I would do just 6-8 kuhli loaches, personally. Also, 30-50% weekly is fine. But 50% weekly is better.

5. OP
    OP
    ap4lmtree

okay, well. is there any other fish i should add. maybe to stimulate my betta more than my kuhli loaches?

thanks

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't do any other mid-dwelling fish with a betta in this size tank. Stick with the kuhli loaches.

7. OP
    OP
    ap4lmtree

Hi. I decided to place an order for 6 java loaches. Being that java loaches are less fearful than kuhli, I hope they shoal with my kuhli loaches and cultivate my kuhli loaches to be less fearful and skittish and hiding all the time. I wish for my kuhli loaches to act more human and less scared.

I also ordered a Nicrew RGB light from amazon, and i will see if i get a night color temperature, then i can get my kuhli loaches to act more human too.

However, it has been disappointing that they hide all the time in the daytime, and come out only to eat. I am disappointed.

I am also disappointed that my betta is too aggressive too, but that is a different issue.

My tank is 20 gallon high, and i will plan to upgrade to 30 or 40 gallon within a year to help them have more space too.

However, i dont agree with the 20 high vs 20 long debate that kuhli loaches need bigger ground footprint. IE, 20 high provides more glass wall dance space. My kuhli loaches or any loaches should learn to dance more on the glass wall print and thus utilized that.

I wish for my loaches to dance more on the glass walls like three or four of them used to do a lot before.

thanks

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Kuhli loaches are fine in a 20 high.....

9. OP
    OP
    ap4lmtree

I like my new 6 java loaches. All my loaches in general might come out more, not just because of them and being lots of loaches now, but also because of my new Nicrew RGB light. Right now, i have it on "smooth." It cycles through all the possible lights gradually and continuously and progressively like a party light, so it is not only dark with that light, but also should create brain stimulation as everything my fish sees constantly change and thus have to learn or intake something new in their brain. I also already have a single bluetooth speaker that i play Bach music to help stimulate, but i have to investigate more if they can hear it or so. It also stimulates my mind playing it in the background.

My java loaches are of better temperment than my kuhli loaches, and i like them more than kuhli loaches, but they are not the perfect temperment i would like to be like always non shy and always non fearful that I think a dojo loach would be like. However, that is okay for now though.

For other temperment, I am concerned about my betta being bored, and i will think about that more or play with her through chasing her with a stick or adding stuff to the aquarium.

This is my current light i am using. I duck taped all connecting parts so it is pretty water resistant too.

Amazon.com : NICREW RGB LED Aquarium Light, Dimmable Fish Tank Light With Remote, 20 to 27-Inch, 14 Watts ... : Pet Supplies

The speaker i am using on the top of my tank (not in the water), but am not sure how well my fish can hear the music is this one. I use winamp to play music to it from my desktop.

Monoprice Deep Blue Sub75 Submersible Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker IPX7-Newegg.com

I also bought a wifi ip cam to stream my aquarium, but the firmware and also desktop software for it isn't coded well and has lots of bugs, so i can't get it to work right right now.

10. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Where would you get the idea that cycling continuously through light colors like a party light is going to be good for your fish...? That is about as far from natural lighting as you can get...

11. OP
    OP
    ap4lmtree

yes, it isn't studied nor researched yet. However, seeing something different all the time, would create brain stimulation as the brain has to deal with constantly changing inputs rather than stick to one input. So, it seems like it would be good if stimulation of the brain is good. As a possible negative, it might create less attention span or so as things in the mind wouldn't stay the same to pay attention to, or i am not sure the possible negative effects.

However, i am just guessing it is good because it would stimulate the minds. Again, it probably hasn't been studied nor research, just like many fish things yet. So, because it hasn't been research yet, it is my hypothesis.