20 Gallon Tank 20 gallon standard stocking

pattersonbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 20 standard that is fishless cycling right now, and I need some help stocking it. At first I was thinking about having a powder blue dwarf gourami, 8-10 cherry barbs and 6-8 corydoras pygmaes, but now I don't know. For one thing I need the fish to be relatively cheap. I want fish that are colourful, energetic, and have personality. Any suggestions? I would be open to doing a species only tank, but I think I would prefer a community tank. Please help :)

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
pattersonbear said:
I have a 20 standard that is fishless cycling right now, and I need some help stocking it. At first I was thinking about having a powder blue dwarf gourami, 8-10 cherry barbs and 6-8 corydoras pygmaes, but now I don't know. For one thing I need the fish to be relatively cheap. I want fish that are colourful, energetic, and have personality. Any suggestions? I would be open to doing a species only tank, but I think I would prefer a community tank. Please help :)
You could do a dwarf gouramI or a pair of honey gouramis. You could do really any type of cory cats but you should stay away from pygmys. As for cherry barbs you might be able to do those. Some other fish you could do instead of cherry barbs are zebra danios, guppies, endlers, or certain tetras.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just for an idea, I have 9 Harlequin Rasbora and a trio of Nannacara Anomala in my 20 high. There is action all over the tank. The Rasboras go all over the place and the cichlids stick to the bottom for the most part. I’m happy with how it turned out

OP
P

pattersonbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bettafish1 said:
You could do a dwarf gouramI or a pair of honey gouramis. You could do really any type of cory cats but you should stay away from pygmys. As for cherry barbs you might be able to do those. Some other fish you could do instead of cherry barbs are zebra danios, guppies, endlers, or certain tetras.
Thanks for the suggestions! Why should I stay away from pygmys?

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
pattersonbear said:
Thanks for the suggestions! Why should I stay away from pygmys?
They need bigger schools. Id stay away from them but ive never had a 20 standard

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FinalFins said:
IMO pygmies are the only cory that can go in a standard 20 long term... also curious :)
I agree 100%, Pygmy Corydoras are the only species I would put in a standard 20. There’s not enough bottom space for the full grown larger species.

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TWiG87 said:
I agree 100%, Pygmy Corydoras are the only species I would put in a standard 20. There’s not enough bottom space for the full grown larger species.
I stand corrected. Ok so pygmys would be the best choice and don't do any others :)

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
German rams need a higher temperature and I don't think those cories will work. The embers will be fine. Maybe go with Bolivian Rams.

OP
P

pattersonbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm keeping my tank at 80 degrees. I thought that corys could go up to 80?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
GBR need around the 82-86 area, most cories can't take that but I know one of the 3 'common' pgymy cories can take higher temps gotta figure out which one first, ill get back to you.

Edit- did a quick scouting, no pygmy cory can take GBR temps from what I'm seeing.

Consider bolivian rams maybe?

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FinalFins said:
GBR need around the 82-86 area, most cories can't take that but I know one of the 3 'common' pgymy cories can take higher temps gotta figure out which one first, ill get back to you.

Edit- did a quick scouting, no pygmy cory can take GBR temps from what I'm seeing.

Consider bolivian rams maybe?
SterbaI are the only ones Ive heard.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
StarGirl15 said:
SterbaI are the only ones Ive heard.
I think Bronze are another.

edit: maybe not, I’m sure I’ve seen them recommend at higher temps around 80s though.

OP
P

pattersonbear

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So what should I do instead of cories? I'm pretty set on german blue rams and ember tetras, but I don't know what else to put with them. Suggestions? Could I add a small school of a different kind of tetra? Endlers?

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Of all Rams German Blue's are some of the most sensitive, and need a stable, well established tank. Bolivian Rams are much more hardy and prefer temperatures that are more in line with what the rest of the fish you want need.

Personally I would do 8 Pygmys, 8-12 Embers, then either a pair of Bolivians or a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides. IMO Apistogramma are better suited for a standard 20 gallon high since a 20 high doesn't have a footprint that's much larger than a 10 gallon and they are smaller than Rams. When it comes to tank size and stocking it's the footprint that determines what you can stock, not necessarily just the amount of gallons.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TWiG87 said:

Erm... Actually... all the dwarf species (C. pygmaeus, C. hastatus, C. cochuI and C. habrosus) work in a 20. I have 8 C. habrosus in a 20 and they thrive.

New Threads