20 Gallon Tank 20 gallon saltwater stocking

N13

Hello! I have been in the freshwater hobby for a while now but I am thinking of converting my 20 gallon long to a saltwater tank, I know I have to buy extra equipment and I am deciding for some fish / inverts to care for as well as some beginner corals. I want to make my saltwater experience easy so nothing to advanced, also if anybody has thoughts on equipment that will help me with my tank it will be appreciated! Anyways, here is my idea:
1 Astraea Turbo Snail
2 Scarlet reef hermit crab
2 Ocellaris designer clowns
1 yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair

Can I add more fish / inverts or will it be overstocked, I don't know to much about corals so advice about that is nice, btw the tank is a 20 gallon long with a 30 gallon filter, any tips on converting freshwater to saltwater will be nice to. Thanks!

N13

Any ideas???

Upvote 0

AquaPhilNJ

Sounds like a good plan to me. I never had a tank that small little harder for me to give advice. I've only done saltwater never freshwater and I only use sumps.

The 3 fish in a 20 gallon I worry; I hope that doesn't cause the nitrate to go too high too quickly. May want to start with one or two clown then consider the goby later. Otherwise if too many fish may be hard to keep water clean, as you may know measure the nitrate to ensure water changes are enough, too high have issue. Salt water is much more difficult to do water change; as you may have heard you're suppose to use ro/di water (takes time to make) and then have to mix salt for hours (I use 550g pump), and salt cost money.

Refugium filtration is big deal. For a tank your size not sure how that would work. With refugium people can skip water changes b\c is such a power filtration even removes all nitrates, also macro algae reactors. Maybe forget that b\c tank so small, but I suggest you plan your filtration carefully.

Salt water means evaporation, that means the salt stays but the water goes and salinity can slowly go way too high if unchecked. You can either one, mark a line on aquarium and manually refill evaporated water each day - yea each day because its alot of evaporation - or buy ATO which auto refills that evaporated water. Hope i'm not telling you things you already heard, there is video series on youtube from "bulkreefsupply" helpful for beginners.

Upvote 0

N13

Sounds like a good plan to me. I never had a tank that small little harder for me to give advice. I've only done saltwater never freshwater and I only use sumps.

The 3 fish in a 20 gallon I worry; I hope that doesn't cause the nitrate to go too high too quickly. May want to start with one or two clown then consider the goby later. Otherwise if too many fish may be hard to keep water clean, as you may know measure the nitrate to ensure water changes are enough, too high have issue. Salt water is much more difficult to do water change; as you may have heard you're suppose to use ro/di water (takes time to make) and then have to mix salt for hours (I use 550g pump), and salt cost money.

Refugium filtration is big deal. For a tank your size not sure how that would work. With refugium people can skip water changes b\c is such a power filtration even removes all nitrates, also macro algae reactors. Maybe forget that b\c tank so small, but I suggest you plan your filtration carefully.

Salt water means evaporation, that means the salt stays but the water goes and salinity can slowly go way too high if unchecked. You can either one, mark a line on aquarium and manually refill evaporated water each day - yea each day because its alot of evaporation - or buy ATO which auto refills that evaporated water. Hope i'm not telling you things you already heard, there is video series on youtube from "bulkreefsupply" helpful for beginners.
Most of these things I heard, I asked the reef2reef forum and they said it was fine even with a firefish in the mix, about the refegeum, I'm fine with doing water changes just 20% a week, thx for the info though

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ahouseofscales
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views
Jesterrace