20 Gallon Rebuild! Help!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Sapanza01, Jun 25, 2018.

1. S

Sapanza01 New Member Member

So I'm about to do a rebuild/restock on my 20 gallon. I have black sand and some amazon swords in it already but I'm considering adding new substrate and plants as well. In terms of stocking, I want to have small schooling fish, with maybe 1 or two centerpiece fish and some bottom feeders. I love gouramis, cories, and want to get into cherry barbs and harlequin rasaboras. Any suggestions? Also i dont know if this is a stretch but I'm also thinking about maybe GBR or bolivian rams OR paradise fish. Please help me with any stocking suggestions and or plant and substrate builds please!

2. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Is it a 20 long or high?

Also GBR and Paradise fish have vastly different environmental needs so I would suggest deciding which one you want first and working up from there. I would only do rams if it's a long tank, they need the floor space.

Fluval has a black sand substrate for plants that I love and scattered with some pebbles makes for a nice natural look.

3. OP
    OP
    S

It's a standard 20g from one of those complete kits. How many small schooling fish like cherry barns and Harlequins do you think I could possibly have?

4. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Gotcha, I would go with paradise fish either m/f or f/f pair.

You could easily have a school of 6 - 8 harlequins and then either a small pleco or 6 otocats or 6 smaller breed cories on the bottom (Sterbai like warmer water which the paradise fish and the harlequins do too)

5. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, paradise fish prefer cooler water.

You could have paradise fish with WCMM.

6. OP
    OP
    S

So what other suggestions do you have? Plant wise or fish stocking would be much appreciated

7. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

A lot of nano schoolers would look nice with a moderately planted tank.

My favorite nano schoolers is the ember tetra. They are smaller, but not tiny and they have a lot of color.

They work pretty well with bettas if given enough line of sight blockers like plants and decor.

If you bought a kit, plant selections would be limited, but anacharis is a really good line of sight blockers and grows like weeds.

8. OP
    OP
    S

What about cherry barns or harlequins? And other than a Betta, what about other centerpiece fish?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice