20 gallon plant lighting? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by lucky strike 21, Dec 20, 2012.

1. lucky strike 21

lucky strike 21 Well Known Member Member

I have a 24" light its 17 watts on my 20 gallon long is that enough to grow high light plants ?the bulb says daylight I'm not sure if I could buy a better bulb

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I am not very knowledgeable on live plants, but I believe for high light plants you need at least 2 watts per gallon. But hopefully someone more knowledgable than me (which would be just about anyone) will give a better answer.

3. Mmbrown

Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Hi there,

Watts per gallon is sort of like inch per gallon. It can sometimes be an okay starting point, but doesn't really address the correct things. This chart was made by someone named Hoppy on another forum and can be super helpful:

It used to be linked to through our site but I couldn't find that thread, so I just lifted this from Google. I hope that's okay :)

Note that the length and wattage of the bulb aren't even mentioned, because the more important thing is the type of bulb. Unfortunately CFLs aren't listed because their PAR data (information about the light that plants have available to them, under a certain bulb) is harder to gather/more complicated to interpret because of a number of factors. At least, that's my understanding.

I'll also throw in that if you're looking at bulbs with ratings on them, I believe the range for plants is 6,500K to 10,000K daylight rating. If that range is wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

I hope this helps! ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice