20 Gallon Long Wild Betta Tank

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So about 3 weeks ago I finally built a stand for the 20 gallon long I picked up during petcos dollar per gallon sale and filled it up. I swapped over some driftwood from the 9g and put substrate in it Friday. Sunday I finally added plants and the fish. Substrate is eco-complete and a sponge filter good for 40 gallons with an aqueon clip on LED light for planted tanks. The design right now is very plain but I'm planning to slowly fill it in and upgrade the light.

It has floating water lettuce and salvinia minima, rooted plants are crypt lutea and a type of large sword (I think) for a center piece with moss on driftwood. Due to the position of the light and floating plants the corners a pretty dim but I'm hoping to fix that. The center gets very good light though. Stand is built by me and my dad using some spare wood we had around the shed and the lid is made from glass cut at Lowes seeing how difficult it is to find a lid made for a 20g long.

Planning on adding co2 in time for the weekend and possibly more plants depending what the LFS gets. For now it only has the 1 Betta Smaragdina.

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He is playing some serious hide and seek with me in his giant new home. For the last 2 days and just now even turning on the lights in pure dark his fins are always unclamped which is so nice to finally see. I think he's still a bit unsure of the big open space with the bright light in the middle. After I chased him around a bit he tensed back up.. lol
20190918_211130.jpg

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Added the co2 last night and primed everything but forgot to turn it on this morning haha probably going to start at 1.5-2 bbps as the tank isn't very heavily planted yet. The 10g that had the co2 only got 1bbps but had more plants so I'm going to work from there.

The lady at my LFS was really trying to upsell some "rare" hygrophilia they had just gotten in saying how much she likes it but could never find it. Said it was practically unkillable if you don't mess things up planting it i.e. roots and stem. I think it was hygrophila araguaia but I really can't recall, results on google are very similar like tiny pink bamboo almost. I think that would be a nice addition but a little pricey at $10 a clump. Anyone have any experience with it? Still trying to find some suitable plants to fill things in.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom