20 Gallon Long vs. 29 Gallon

AP1

I have been aquarium-less since a bit of a disaster last December (filter leaked a gallon of water on the floor, leading to me panicking and moving the half-full ten gallon tank, resulting in 3 more gallons leaking on (and under the floor) and a request from my exasperated better half to take a pause from fishkeeping) But time heals most wounds, and I have been granted permission to purchase another aquarium.

I have settled on either a 20 gallon long or 29 gallon (Aqueon either way) as the tank. Answers to a couple of questions would be of aid in making the decision:

1. Any recommendations for good lights for either tank for growing plants? I am (probably) planning on a dirt substrate w/sand cap, likely for stocking with some sort of smaller fish (rasboras, endlers, pygmy corys, etc.) I want a good, but perhaps not 'great' light--for my last aquarium I had something of this sort and appreciated having enough power to grow at least some plants while avoiding really high output that might encourage algae growth. I.e. I would trade a bit of power for less algae so long as the light is good enough for most low-tech plants. If there are recommendations (or two) for both the 20 long and 29 gallon that would be great, as the main reason I would not purchase the 29 gallon would be if there was a significant jump in lighting prices due to the extra height.

2. Just to confirm, stands for the 29 gallon should also fit the 20 gallon long, correct? Having trouble finding inexpensive stands for the 20 long. As a follow-up, and since I'm basically sure the answer is yes to the fit question in terms of dimensions, is anyone using a 29 gallon stand for a 20 gallon long? How do you find this in terms of the viewing level? (I assume the 29 gallon stand is a bit shorter than a 20 gallon long stand would be?)

Thank you very much in advance!

MasterPython

The 20 long is the same width and depth as a 29 gallon but 6" shorter. The stands and lids are the same.

If you are doing deep substrate I would go with the 29.

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

I got a beam box light. Seems to be doing well, full-spectrum light on a budget. Have some algae yea, you always will with lights that grow plants.
It should work with either tank.

The stand I think should also work with either tank. the 29 is the same width and length as the 20 long, it's just taller "I THINK." But if the stand does not line up with the rim of the tank I wouldn't risk it. You don't want to risk it either.

Upvote 0

AP1

Master Python: thanks, and I hadn't thought about the advantage there with the 29 for deep substrate.

Noroomforshoe: thank you as well! Are you referring to the Beam Works light? (couldn't find beam box but did find Beam Works)...and yea, this is why I asked that question about the stand--planning on purchasing online and just a bit nervous about whether the edges for a 20 long would be exactly the same as the 29 (though they really should be in theory)

Upvote 0

Noroomforshoe

Beam works yes, sorry!

Upvote 0

JayAlva

I use an aqueon forge 30x12 i have a 20 gallon long and my daughter's 5 gallon pea puffer tank on the bottom. It could be for either a 20 or 29 on the top and the bottom can hold up to a 15 gallon aquarium.

20210327_145719.jpg

Upvote 0

AP1

I use an aqueon forge 30x12 i have a 20 gallon long and my daughter's 5 gallon pea puffer tank on the bottom. It could be for either a 20 or 29 on the top and the bottom can hold up to a 15 gallon aquarium.

20210327_145719.jpg
A two aquarium stand? Now that is tempting! (I wish it was about 30 dollars less, but then again Father's Day is in May and my birthday in June...)

And thanks for confirming regarding the 29 v. 20 question. Glad to hear from someone who has done it that the 20 long does work.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Magua
Replies
Views
ruud
  • Question
Replies
Views
Debbie1986