20-gallon Long Stocks Question

1. Daylight

Daylight Valued Member Member

So I currently have 3 platies, 3 albino cories, 3 cherry shrimp, 1 ghost shrimp and 1 guppy(that I will move to another tank) and I am also going to add 3 more albino cories. My question is if I can add otos and if I can how many should I add?

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

A minimum of six and up to ten should be okay. They have a fairly light bioload.

Do let your tank become well settled befor adding ottos because they need a good build up of biofilm.

Do remember to feed your ottos vegetables or green food, because they often don't get enough to eat, especially in young tamks.

3. OP
    OP
    Daylight

Is ok if I only put 3 otos in my tank.

4. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Ottos are shoaling fish. In nature they are found in groups hundreds strong. In modern aquaria keeping six has become the minimum standard to provide a feeling of safety and security for shoaling fish. In most cases, the more of them in a group, the better they will thrive.

5. OP
    OP
    Daylight

Thanks

6. BuddyD

BuddyD Valued Member Member

Ottos can be sensitive though. I had six, in the first 24 hours the smallest died and just yesterday after 2 weeks another died. Leaves 4. But they all seem happy and all over the tank and one has a larger belly than the others. Eggs? Over eater? We'll see.

7. tokiodreamy

tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

Do a little research on ottos. They tend to die in a month because of the horrible fish trade.

I personally would only add 1 schoaling bottom dwellers to a 20g. Plus corycats love room to roam!

8. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd add 5 amano shrimp and a school of 8 cherry barbs instead of otos, personally.

9. BuddyD

BuddyD Valued Member Member

Here it is Monday and I was looking at the tank all inhabitants were fine and swimming around at 8:30 am. At 10:00 am I looked up and another otto was flipping all over the place then died. So down to 3 now. I will never buy ottos again.