20 Gallon Long Stocking

bettafairy

My current stock is:
1 Male Dumbo Betta
4 Peppered Cory Catfish
6 X-Ray Tetras
Ramshorn Snails

The tank is a 20 Gallon long. AqAdviser says I’m about 70% stocked but I’m unsure of whether or not to go with that number. For background, I have two filters and pothos roots in the tank. Is the tank stocked enough/too much or should I get two more corys? Would I be able to add a shrimp colony or would that be too much?

LHAquatics

My current stock is:
1 Male Dumbo Betta
4 Peppered Dwarf Cory Catfish
6 X-Ray Tetras
Ramshorn Snails

The tank is a 20 Gallon long. AqAdviser says I’m about 70% stocked but I’m unsure of whether or not to go with that number. For background, I have two filters and pothos roots in the tank. Is the tank stocked enough/too much or should I get two more corys? Would I be able to add a shrimp colony or would that be too much?
You could add shrimp and corydoras IMO, but that would be kind of overstcoked. 50% water changes can help with that.

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

My current stock is:
1 Male Dumbo Betta
4 Peppered Dwarf Cory Catfish
6 X-Ray Tetras
Ramshorn Snails

I would definitely get two more corys, as they do best in groups of at least 6 or more. As for the shrimp, you could try it but the betta would most likely just eat them

Upvote 0

bettafairy

You could add shrimp and corydoras IMO, but that would be kind of overstcoked. 50% water changes can help with that.
I thought shrimp had a small bio load compared to fish but I definitely don’t want to overstock, I’m going to up my water changes from 25 to 50.

Upvote 0

Coradee

Hi, your list says you have dwarf peppered corys which is a little confusing as there is no dwarf peppered cory species. There is C.paleatus aka peppered cory & C.habrosus aka salt & pepper cory.
It would really help to know which you have as that will dictate how many you can have as there is a large size difference, have you a picture or can you get a picture of the corys so they can be Id’d correctly please?

Upvote 0

bettafairy

Hi, your list says you have dwarf peppered corys which is a little confusing as there is no dwarf peppered cory species. There is C.paleatus aka peppered cory & C.habrosus aka salt & pepper cory.
It would really help to know which you have as that will dictate how many you can have as there is a large size difference, have you a picture or can you get a picture of the corys so they can be Id’d correctly please?
They are Corydora paleatus which I was told were a dwarf peppered corydora species but I could very well be wrong. They are quite small lads and have remained the same size.

Attachments

• 717D2842-76FE-4B22-B415-6FF2F6D8265D.jpeg
    717D2842-76FE-4B22-B415-6FF2F6D8265D.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Coradee

Yes you do have C.paleatus & unfortunately you were wrongly advised, peppered corys are one of the larger species & can get a good 2.5 - 3”.
You will still be ok with a group of them in your 20 :)

Upvote 0

bettafairy

Yes you do have C.paleatus & unfortunately you were wrongly advised, peppered corys are one of the larger species & can get a good 2.5 - 3”.
You will still be ok with a group of them in your 20 :)
Okay thank you! I wonder when they will start to grow, I think my largest one is just under an inch which the man who sold me then told me would be their largest size. Go figure lol. Should I still get two more?

Upvote 0

Coradee

As a long lived fish they’re quite slow growers, another two would be fine in my opinion :)

Upvote 0

bettafairy

As a long lived fish they’re quite slow growers, another two would be fine in my opinion :)
Okay great! I seriously love the little guys, and I wouldn’t mind if they got a bit bigger. My betta gets along with them especially well.

Upvote 0

Coradee

Who doesn’t love corys :joyful:

Upvote 0

bettafairy

I would definitely get two more corys, as they do best in groups of at least 6 or more. As for the shrimp, you could try it but the betta would most likely just eat them
I’m going to get more cories, as for the shrimp I’m not afraid of my betta harming them as he is genuinely the most peaceful betta I’ve ever met, from sharing food to schooling with the other fish. I’m mostly afraid of overstocking but I think if I remove some decorations on the substrate the cories will have more room to scavenge, and I’m going to up my water changes just to make sure everyone stays healthy. I really like my stock as of now, and I’m so grateful for everyone’s suggestions. I really wanted the 20 long to look active but also have enough room for my each fish to get along with the other comfortably.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Tankseeker
Replies
Views
Qzar61
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics