20 Gallon Long Stocking 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Dinotso, Apr 23, 2018.

1. DinotsoNew MemberMember

Hi all! Try to put together my first community tank with a 20 gallon long I picked up on sale. My previous fishkeeping experience as an adult is just a single betta in a 5g tank, so stocking is definitely an area I have no experience in.

While I get my tank set up and wait for it to cycle I've been trying to plan ahead for my stocking. I've been reading up on fish that are fairly hardy and using aqadvisor for planning, but wanted to post my plan and get people's thoughts (especially since I have no sense of what fish are truly compatible).

My plan is
    2x Bolivian Rams
    6x Guppy
    2x Nerite Snail
    1x Bristlenose Pleco
    1x Dwarf Gourami OR 6x Leopard Danio (no preference)

According to aqadvisor these fish should be compatible and would put me at ~100% stock level and would be fine from a filtration standpoint (Aqueon Quietflow 50, most likely).

What do people think?

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

Aqadvisor isn't that accurate, so I wouldn't trust it completely.

I'd leave out the BN pleco - they get up to 6" long and they're quite messy. A bigger tank, like a 29 gal, would be more suitable for them.

I'd keep only male guppies - females will breed and overrun you with fry (no, not all of the fry will be eaten).

3. DinotsoNew MemberMember

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely leave out the BN pleco -- was a little hesitant on it anyways because it seems like they need driftwood which can be tricky to deal with.

Definitely male guppies only, don't need any baby drama.

4. JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

I agree with leaving the pleco out. You don't want it to outcompete your nerites for food anyway. The only other thing I have a recommendation on is the gourami. It seems like a lot of people, especially here lately, have had problems keeping them alive for very long due to the dreaded iridovirus. Being that your guppies would provide you with a splash of color, you could instead do a couple honey gouramis. People say they stay on the smaller and docile side. Oh and if you can, make sure you can either get a male and female or two female bolivian rams. Apparently two males can get pretty testy with each other.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  5. DinotsoNew MemberMember

Wow, I just read up on iridovirus after your post... Going for the honey gourami instead is a great suggestion. Also appreciate the tip about the ram gender, probably wouldn't have given it much thought otherwise. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice