20 gallon long stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Eatfishhuntrepeat8, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Eatfishhuntrepeat8 New Member Member

Hi fish ppl! So I have a cycled 20 long planted aquarium, ph 7.2, temp 76 and canister filter for up to 30 gallons. i would love a species only schooling fish that's small, such as neons or cardinals but they have a higher risk of diseases and blood line issues. I just love the red and blue so I'm looking for something similar, but not crazy expensive...:;2cents;)...any ideas.
    i may add a nerite snail or two and some cherry shrimp eventually but cherries and torpedo shaped fish have a small bio load.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What about a larger school of zebra danios?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Cardinals are pretty hardy. Those should work.

4. Dom90

Or you can do some guppies, some of them have the red/blue colors you want. Or platies..

5. OP
    OP
    Eatfishhuntrepeat8

I thought about danios too but they just seem a little too active for such a small tank and I'd like to stick with smaller fish to make the tank "seem" larger

6. Dom90

Danios only get 2"...

7. OP
    OP
    Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Lol got me there, I'm no expert, but I was mainly referring to there behavior than anything, sorry my bad...:mad:

8. Dom90

Well in that case, you can do harlequin rasboras or maybe rummynose tetras.

9. OP
    OP
    Eatfishhuntrepeat8

Hmmm I looked into rummy nose too but does anyone have experience with knodus borki ( blue tetra), they seem kinda interesting but I read that they can be fin nippers soo idk

10. Dom90

It says they can become fin nippers if not kept in a properly sized aquarium or proper sized school. So I think if you got six or more, it should be ok. Keyword should.

11. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Zebra danios are fine in a 20 gallon long.....

12. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

You could do a large school of neon tetras, some glowlight tetras, I have 3 regular ones and 4 albino ones for a school of 7. they seem to get along just fine and I find them very peaceful easy to watch fish. I have 6 neons that I bought last year and cycled the tank with them and they are still here and doing well. Then if you wanted you could add another school of harlequin rasboras with them. They are also very peaceful and hardy. Alison

13. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I've had blue tetra. Nothing special about them. I had a big school of them in a 29 by themselves. No issues with them going after each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

14. Dom90

But how would they do in a community setting?

15. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

They'd do fine......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice