20 gallon (long) stocking

1. 1thing

1thing Valued Member Member

So I think I'm going to go for a 20g long and was thinking about stocking!

my idea:

6 danios

5 neon tetras ( they are an established group and don't know if I can be botherd do go through the hastle of Adding 1 fish!)

6 pepperd corys

1 bamboo shrimp (look awesome)

1 DG I already own him and people say that If I keep him at his temperature the pepperd corys lifespan will be shortend!! I want to know how much by!!

1 bristnose plec

is this good?

All suggestions welcome!

thing

2. e

evan47 Valued Member Member

i am looking for a 20 gallon long tank in the uk.
    where did you get yours, who makes/sells it and what are its dimensions in centimetres please?

3. OP
    OP
    1thing

The place I'm looking for this stuff is on ebay!!! In LFS everything is wayyyyyy overpriced? This ones around 30-40 quid instead of £150

dimensions are

62cm long

36 cm wide

49 cm high (with lid)

also comes with nice stand

thing

4. e

evan47 Valued Member Member

not really my idea of a long tank. i was hoping for something 80cm x 30cm x 30cm.
    the nearest i can find is 60cm x 30cm x 30cm. but its only 45 liters.
    sounds nice though.

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I doubt you'll find a standard tank with those dimensions, Birmingham aquariums,DC aquariums, ND aquatics all make custom tanks or ask at your local Lfs if they do or know if anyone that makes them.

To answer the OP I wouldn't put danios in less than a 3 ft tank as they're such fast swimmers, the rest of the stocking looks ok apart from the peppers.
    By how many years peppered cory lifespan would be shortened is impossible to say, but surely the fact that it will be shortened by keeping them at higher temps than they've evolved to live in should make you choose a different species that is more suited to higher temps, there is a big choice of those.

6. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I would say the bristle nose pleco might be pushing it. The peppered corys lives will be shortened but I can't tell you how much. What temperature is the tank? Peppered corys shouldn't be kept above 25 degrees maximum.

7. OP
    OP
    1thing

What type would you suggest??

or how about I rehouse the DG and replace him with a Betta?

thing

8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bronze, albino, sterbai, trilineatus are the most commonly available ones but there are lots of others if you can source them such as adolfoi, gossei, Duplicareus as an example

9. Viriam Karo

Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

If you rehome this DG, why not put your other DG into this tank? I also would not recommend putting a betta in a community tank unless you always have another tank AT THE READY to put him in, as a solitary fish, at all times. I still wouldn't recommend it, really, but having an extra tank is an absolute must if you're going to try a community betta.

10. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Not a good idea, for the betta or the other fish. Especially the small schooling fish, like neon tetras, which begin to look like tasty betta snacks...

The danios aren't suitable for this tank. I would not keep them in anything less than a 30gL, as they are super active and spazzy. The BN is going to drastically raise the bioload and will also compete with any other bottom feeder for food, which won't work well in a 20 gallon. I would stick to one bottom-dwelling species, in this case, an appropriate species of cory if that's what you want. BNs can live in a 20 gallon tank, but ONLY if it's heavily planted or seriously overfiltered, as their bioload is generally high and tends to be too much for the biofilter.

11. OP
    OP
    1thing

I thought plecs ate algea not sift throughout the substrate??

and I think I'll just rehouse the DG as I really like the look of pepperd corys!!

and if I do get rid of the danios what else could I stock the tank with????

thing

12. goldenguppy

goldenguppy New Member Member

A bamboo shrimp would be a great addition, but I would recommend two. They are at times about $6 each, but well worth it. They need to have at least an 8 gallon tank and about 4 faux plants.
    Best of Luck!

Ask me some questions, I will do my best to answer them as well as I can!