20 gallon long stocking question

idkausernamesoyeah

Hey everyone, I have a 20 gallon long planted aquarium with a hob filter and a sponge filter. It runs at room temp, which is around 67 degrees F. Right now, it has 1 zebra loach, 7 zebra danios, 2 celestial pearl danios, and 1 hillstream loach. (Also a nerite snail and some shrimp.) The cpd and the hillstream loach cane from my brothers tank, as all there other tank mates did not survive. I was just wondering if this was a good amount of fish, if everyone in the tank is living to the best way possible, and if I can get some more celestial pearl danios, to keep their school a little bit higher.

PeterFishKeepin

I think you could put more maybe 5 or so danio

Peaches1710

I'd say 4 or 5 more CPDs should be fine. That would raise your school to 6-7 and when typed into Aqadvisor, your stocking level is roughly 68% which is relatively low. I know Aqadvisor is not always reliable and had many questionable moments but it does give a rough idea.

idkausernamesoyeah

Oh, I did not realize there was a website for that. I was hoping I could up their school a bit.

Peaches1710

Aqadvisor works by entering your fish tank, volume, and dimensions; filter/filters; and stocking list of fish plus their quantity. In then gives you a calculated estimate on your stocking level, % of WC you should aim for each week, water condition ranges you should keep the tank at, aswell as important information about certain species. The good thing about Aqadvisor is that it is not based on the unreliable 'inch per gallon' rule but rather considers the bioload and needs of each species you wish to keep. It's helpful and gives you a rough idea, but every tank is different and it definitely still has its flaws. You've actually got space for more fish if you wanted it according to the website. It's common practice to keep the stocking level to 85% or under but I am going to be stocking my 20g high to 99% and doing 50% water changes a week so I hope it will be fine!

Noroomforshoe

You should not rely on aqadvisor, they make some vital eros all too often.
Are the celestials getting their fair share of food? zebra danios are much faster fish. If you think the small pearl danio are doing ok, then yes you have room for more. I would like to suggest that you get a heater to at least keep the temp at a stable 70 or even 72 degrees.

idkausernamesoyeah

You should not rely on aqadvisor, they make some vital eros all too often.
Are the celestials getting their fair share of food? zebra danios are much faster fish. If you think the small pearl danio are doing ok, then yes you have room for more. I would like to suggest that you get a heater to at least keep the temp at a stable 70 or even 72 degrees.
I have a heater, and was thinking of doing that. That would be best for everyone in there right?

Noroomforshoe

Many of your fish are fine in the temp you have. A stable and higher temp would still be be good for everyone. The zebra danio like it a little warmer at 70+ but are probobly doing fine. Its the zebra loach that likes a higher temp of 73 or more, they can all thrive at 73-75 and a stable temp is always best.

idkausernamesoyeah

Many of your fish are fine in the temp you have. A stable and higher temp would still be be good for everyone. The zebra danio like it a little warmer at 70+ but are probobly doing fine. Its the zebra loach that likes a higher temp of 73 or more, they can all thrive at 73-75 and a stable temp is always best.
I looked into it and realized the loach needed to be in groups and higher temps, so I decided to bring him back to the pet store.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Onefishyboi
Replies
Views
JeffK
Replies
Views
ReCause5764
  • Question
Replies