20 gallon long stocking options?

connorjs1004

Hi, I am thinking of getting another 20 gallon long live planted tank and I am kind of stuck on what to put in it. I definitely want to have cherry shrimp in the tank, but I have seen very mixed opinions on what fish are compatible with them. So, what I was thinking was:
Also, I know that this tank would be pretty heavily stocked, so I would probably do weekly 40-50% water changes.

Any thoughts on if this is appropriate stocking or not?
Thanks

Bruinfishkeeper1

Honestly should work well IMO. For high bioload tanks check out my article on houseplants down below

I usually like to stick with one schooling fish tho and just get a large amount of them, but this could work. I just like the behavior of schools 12 plus better lol

Upvote 0

joemonkeaquat

You can do plenty more shrimp, but I'm that's what will happen as the tank matures and they start to breed. I agree that you should aim for just one schooling species, personally I'd aim for the rasboras, making the entire stocking Asian.

In my experience with sparkling gouramis, they can be aggressive with each other. Given its a 20, there may be enough space for them to establish their own territories. They can also be a little shy, which might become a problem around the active schooling fish you suggested (either they will hide often or won't get fed often enough). If you're up to it, maybe consider a honey gourami instead? Not saying the sparkling gouramis can't necessarily be done.

Upvote 0

veggieshark

I would go easy with fish in a shrimp tank. Shrimp themselves are not considered high bioload, but if you are forced to do 50% water changes frequently due to fish, you can have trouble with shrimp. Most high volume shrimp losses happen due to mishaps with water change, and if nothing you don't want to deal with shrimpette picking unnecessarily more frequently.
I like the idea of keeping one school at the beginning, especially if you will add otos later. I am also sort of compulsive about keeping it Asian but that is a personal choice.

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

You can do plenty more shrimp, but I'm that's what will happen as the tank matures and they start to breed. I agree that you should aim for just one schooling species, personally I'd aim for the rasboras, making the entire stocking Asian.

In my experience with sparkling gouramis, they can be aggressive with each other. Given its a 20, there may be enough space for them to establish their own territories. They can also be a little shy, which might become a problem around the active schooling fish you suggested (either they will hide often or won't get fed often enough). If you're up to it, maybe consider a honey gourami instead? Not saying the sparkling gouramis can't necessarily be done.

Do you think it would be better to only have 1 or 2 sparkling gourami? I am kind of hesitant to get more honey gourami because I already have them in two of my tanks as the centerpiece and I want to try something new.
Honestly should work well IMO. For high bioload tanks check out my article on houseplants down below

I usually like to stick with one schooling fish tho and just get a large amount of them, but this could work. I just like the behavior of schools 12 plus better lol

Ok, normally I would only do one schooling fish like you said, but being as both species are so small I thought I might be able to get away with it lol.

Upvote 0

immaman1992

Let me know how the shrimp workout I've always wanted more info on how they work in a tank, that and frogs sound awesome.

Upvote 0

joemonkeaquat

If you're set on the sparkling gouramis, I'd go with either three or one. If you only had two, it's likely one would be more dominant and constantly bully the other. Aggression would be better spread out between three

Upvote 0

connorjs1004

If you're set on the sparkling gouramis, I'd go with either three or one. If you only had two, it's likely one would be more dominant and constantly bully the other. Aggression would be better spread out between three

Ok I will probably just do 1

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
N13
Replies
Views
betta06
  • Question
Replies