20 Gallon Long Stocking Idea

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The goldfish will get way to big for the tank. Aside from that the pleco with cooler temps would be your better choice.

SharkBaitOohHannah

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MrBryan723 is right that 20g probably isn't enough for two fantails, but I imagine one would be okay. I'd probably do one fantail, a pleco, and the minnows. You're in the goldfish corner of the aquarium world, so I'm assuming you're already comfortable with the idea of big water changes. What's your filtration like? With heavy filtration and big weekly water changes (I'd do at least 60%), that stocking would be doable. You probably already know this, but make sure the minnows are too big to fit in the fantail's mouth, and make sure you have some kind of driftwood or similar hiding area for your pleco. Of course, always keep in mind that you might have to upgrade someday to a larger tank if your fantail gets really huge, but you rarely hear about them getting any bigger than 6 inches. I don't have any experience with minnows, so I'd really appreciate a second opinion from anyone more familiar with them!

alexluna

Reaction score
SharkBaitOohHannah said:
MrBryan723 is right that 20g probably isn't enough for two fantails, but I imagine one would be okay. I'd probably do one fantail, a pleco, and the minnows. You're in the goldfish corner of the aquarium world, so I'm assuming you're already comfortable with the idea of big water changes. What's your filtration like? With heavy filtration and big weekly water changes (I'd do at least 60%), that stocking would be doable. You probably already know this, but make sure the minnows are too big to fit in the fantail's mouth, and make sure you have some kind of driftwood or similar hiding area for your pleco. Of course, always keep in mind that you might have to upgrade someday to a larger tank if your fantail gets really huge, but you rarely hear about them getting any bigger than 6 inches. I don't have any experience with minnows, so I'd really appreciate a second opinion from anyone more familiar with them!
Hi! I did not include much detail on the setup but I bet that will help
- aqua clear 50
- caribsea sand
- nicrew light
- river rocks and wood
- hopefully some live plants but if they eat them then silk plants
Does this sound good? Also I will be doing big weekly water changes and will probably upgrade the tank when they get bigger

SharkBaitOohHannah

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
alexluna said:
Hi! I did not include much detail on the setup but I bet that will help
- aqua clear 50
- caribsea sand
- nicrew light
- river rocks and wood
- hopefully some live plants but if they eat them then silk plants
Does this sound good? Also I will be doing big weekly water changes and will probably upgrade the tank when they get bigger
It sounds like you have a great setup! In my very little hands-on aquarium experience, I've been using an AquaClear 50 and have quite liked everything about it, so I'm sure that will work out well for you! Having that bigger size will be helpful with handling all the waste. As for the live plants, I've heard that java fern is hardy against goldfish, and you could tie it to some of the wood so they can't dig it out. One thing I've seen some goldfish keepers do is grow pothos plants at the top of their tanks. That could be a great way to handle extra bioload if the fish keep digging up or eating the live plants. Plus, they're very pretty and easy to maintain house plants. I hope this helps!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom