20 Gallon Long Stocking Capacity! Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by BeginnerFishKeeper97, Jun 29, 2019.

1. BeginnerFishKeeper97

BeginnerFishKeeper97New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Hello!

So I've been putting the parts together for a 20 gallon long system and all that's left is to put it together. So here comes the all important question: what do I put in it? I've been thinking and I think I've decided on:

15 neon tetras
    5-7 celestial pearl danios
    9-11 pygmy corydoras
    10 cherry shrimp

I was wondering if this is going to be over stocked? What do you think the intervals for waterchanges will be like?

Some info on the setup:
    • The aquarium is going to be fully planted (crypts, dwarf lily, floating plants, pearl weed and mosses)
    • Uses a corner matten filter powered by a DIY cannister filter.
    • I'm using a mix of tropica soil/substrate, gravel, sand and river rocks for my substrate.
    • Will initially run low tech then add DIY co2

2. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +478
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I think this stocking sounds pretty good.
    35% a week or so should probably be fine.

3. OP
    OP
    BeginnerFishKeeper97

Ratings:
    +12
    Thank you for your input!!!!

4. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Sounds good to me, though I'd personally even the two schools out and do 12 neons and 12 CPDs.

5. OP
    OP
    BeginnerFishKeeper97

Ratings:
    +12
    What about the pygmy corries? I had 9-11 in mind and thought that would be a nice school to have.

6. Anders247

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    They would be fine, was just talking about the mid-top dwellers.

7. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +872
    Looks fine.

Personally I would swap the 1 school of fish for one or two centrepiece fishes. But that's just personal preference.

Also, another idea is to swap the pygmaeus for habrosus. The pygmies like to swim mid water too, so with the two schools, it might look abit busy, whereas, the habrosus act more like your regular cory, staying at the bottom most of the time. Habrosus does get ever so slightly larger than the pygmaeus tho.

8. OP
    OP
    BeginnerFishKeeper97

Ratings:
    +12
    What would you use as a center piece instead of the CPDs that wouldn't eat the cherry shrimp?

Thanks for the info on the pygmy cories! I'll take a look into habrosus to see what they're like.

9. Anders247

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Peacock gudgeons would work.

10. Mr. Kgnao

Mr. KgnaoValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +278
    In my experience neons absolutely destroy neocaridinae, so if you're worried about them being eaten...

11. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +255
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Your setup sounds remarkably like what I'm putting together. 20L with a corner matten filter. I'm using air power and am going with some Biohome in the corner behind the foam. I'm also going low tech planted with red cherry shrimp. Eventually I'll get around to adding some nano fish but that will be well down the road after the shrimp colony is well established.

I'm going to start with the plants and let it run like that for a couple months so there's loads of biofilm for the shrimp. Once I'm sure I'm not killing the shrimp and the colony has at least tripled in size, then I'll add a couple small schools of fish small enough not to bother the adult shrimp. I know the fish will pick off whatever baby shrimp they can find, but if the initial colony triples in size I'll probably be looking for population control anyway. And by that time the plants should be big enough to provide good hiding places.

One thing I have heard is if you want the shrimp to breed you need to have enough shrimp per square foot of tank space so the males are sure to find the females when they're receptive. The females molt just prior to this so they'll naturally hide. If the concentration of shrimp isn't high enough she might go without a mate. IOW, you might want to start with more than ten.