20 gallon long planted tank - What plants should I add?

sable

So I have a 20 gallon long planted tank. The substrate is eco-complete, with a black sand cap on about half of it. I already have:
I also have lots (and I mean LOTS...don't ask me how many) of terrestrial houseplants, and propagating is free, so I'm going to take some cuttings of my pothos and philodendrons and grow them emersed off the back of the tank. But I wanted some input on what else I should add!

My tank is pretty low tech. Eco-complete substrate with Flourish root tabs and liquid fertilizer and a Finnex Stingray for a light. So I know I can't do anything crazy! I also have terrible luck with stem plants and am a little afraid of them, haha...

I was thinking bucephelandra would be really nice, especially since I have a bunch of driftwood begging for more plants on it, but I'm not sure what varieties. And maybe some kind of floating plant? But I'm a little worried that my filter (aquaclear 50) would just suck them all up, or that they'd block too much light for my other plants. I would love some color variety but I know a lot of that comes from high tech setups so I'm a little limited. Now that I've gotten past the dreaded crypt melt without killing them all, I'd also like to try some more of those, or more plants that root into the substrate in general...anyway, hit me with your thoughts! I would love a super lush tank!

Dennis57

A nice background plant is the red tiger lotus, its a bulb. Look real nice when it grows out.
Water sprite or water wisteria. Amazon plants are really nice. Rotala Rotundifolia are nice.

Upvote 0

sable

Oh, tiger lotus is a great idea. I've seen them in other people's tanks and loved them but for some reason not connected the dots to "I could grow one". Thank you!

Upvote 0

Dennis57

Oh, tiger lotus is a great idea. I've seen them in other people's tanks and loved them but for some reason not connected the dots to "I could grow one". Thank you!
There really not hard to grow at all, stick the bulb 3/4 of the way into the substrate, use nilocg thrive, and in a week or 2 they will be like 5-6" tall

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
Vishaquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views