Question 20 Gallon Long Mts Setting In Need Stocking Ideas...

Maxxx

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I plan on setting up this 20 gallon long with a sand bottom, a 20 inch piece of driftwood, some natural rocks. For plants I want a few amazon and rosette swords. I plan on attempting some hair grass seed from a dry start method. Filtration will be a cascade 1000, I know, overkill to the extreme, but it was the same price as the cascade 500 ($69.99 off amazon) so I couldn’t say no. This tank will be moved back and forth from college, which is a 1 hour trip. What do you guys think will do really well in this set up? I want something okay with the higher flow, likes plants, and is not too hard to fish out when I move the tank.

Donovan Jones

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
First off I wanna say make sure you actually get hairgrass seeds, as most Asian sellers are scamming with other seeds. Your probably better off with just getting some tissue culture or buying a mat of it online and dividing it. As far as fish, I would say paradise fish. If you associate something with food like a pair of planting tweezers they'll come right up to it and you can just scoop it out. They won't need a heatrr but are known to jump so get a lid. They also tend to dislike tankmates, but some zebra danios or white clouds tends to be the tried and true.

OP
Maxxx

Maxxx

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Donovan Jones said:
First off I wanna say make sure you actually get hairgrass seeds, as most Asian sellers are scamming with other seeds. Your probably better off with just getting some tissue culture or buying a mat of it online and dividing it. As far as fish, I would say paradise fish. If you associate something with food like a pair of planting tweezers they'll come right up to it and you can just scoop it out. They won't need a heatrr but are known to jump so get a lid. They also tend to dislike tankmates, but some zebra danios or white clouds tends to be the tried and true.
I know I’m rolling the dice a bit on the seed but it’s cheap and I bought some other “dwarf tear seed” and I think this is the fastest and easiest way to get a carpet plant. If it doesn’t work out then I won’t lose any sleep over it. My biggest concern is the amount of flow, 265 gph on a 20 long. Will this be considered high flow on a freshwater tank? Should I only look into fish that like a lot of flow?

New Threads