Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

20 Gallon Long Mts Setting In Need Stocking Ideas... Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Maxxx, Mar 23, 2019.

1. MaxxxValued MemberMember

I plan on setting up this 20 gallon long with a sand bottom, a 20 inch piece of driftwood, some natural rocks. For plants I want a few amazon and rosette swords. I plan on attempting some hair grass seed from a dry start method. Filtration will be a cascade 1000, I know, overkill to the extreme, but it was the same price as the cascade 500 ($69.99 off amazon) so I couldn’t say no. This tank will be moved back and forth from college, which is a 1 hour trip. What do you guys think will do really well in this set up? I want something okay with the higher flow, likes plants, and is not too hard to fish out when I move the tank.

2. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

First off I wanna say make sure you actually get hairgrass seeds, as most Asian sellers are scamming with other seeds. Your probably better off with just getting some tissue culture or buying a mat of it online and dividing it. As far as fish, I would say paradise fish. If you associate something with food like a pair of planting tweezers they'll come right up to it and you can just scoop it out. They won't need a heatrr but are known to jump so get a lid. They also tend to dislike tankmates, but some zebra danios or white clouds tends to be the tried and true.

3. MaxxxValued MemberMember

I know I’m rolling the dice a bit on the seed but it’s cheap and I bought some other “dwarf tear seed” and I think this is the fastest and easiest way to get a carpet plant. If it doesn’t work out then I won’t lose any sleep over it. My biggest concern is the amount of flow, 265 gph on a 20 long. Will this be considered high flow on a freshwater tank? Should I only look into fish that like a lot of flow?

4. imbaWell Known MemberMember

How about 4 - 5 honey gouramis and 7 otocinculus

5. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

A nice school of zebra danio would really like the high flow tank