20 Gallon (long) Guppy Stock?

FallenOwl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I got a beautiful Male guppy from my (not so) local fish shop, and I'm thinking about breeding him with a female to produce some equally beautiful males to fill a 20g! So the question is, should I make it a guppy only, or tropical community with the guppies as a centerpiece? Opinions?

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think a guppy only tank would look beautiful and they breed so quickly that if the guppy is your main focus they’d fully stock the tank in no time. Just make sure that you choose an equally nice female and have lots of hiding spots for the fry

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you're breeding them, you'll have no choice but to do a guppy-only tank, since their fry will fill the tank after one or two months. Do you have a plan for any excess fry? If not, you'll need a separate tank for the females.

FallenOwl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My plan was to breed until full, then rehome all of the females.. I could also breed the females in a 10g, then put the male(s) back into the 20g.. that's why I was thinking about having other fish as well.. maybe some bottom dwellers? Algae eaters? Also, how many Male guppies do you think would comfortably fit in a 20? With & without other fish?

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I thought about it, and kind of put numbers together, so just wondering if this looks about right?
10x Kuhli loach
1x BN Pleco
20x Male guppy
1x Ivory Mystery snail
15x Blue Pearl Shrimp
That would be a way off. You could maybe do
8 Guppies
8 Kuhlis
1 BN Pleco
1-2 Mystery Snails
10-15 Shrimp

FallenOwl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just feel like that would look really empty considering the guppies would be the only fish actually swimming around.. could I possibly put 15 guppies? Second opinions?

Guppyception

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just feel like that would look really empty considering the guppies would be the only fish actually swimming around.. could I possibly put 15 guppies? Second opinions?
I have a 20g high and I wouldn't advise having 15 total with all of those other fish. Honestly even 8 might be stretch, 8 would be the most if you do so. I have seven adults and already have another three fry. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up quick.

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
15 guppies with your current stock is a lot IMO. If you removed the BN Pleco then you could have more guppies because the pleco will create a large amount of waste. If you’re worried about algae then reduce the light time in your tank. Guppies and shrimp are not the best algae cleaners but they will maintain a balanced tank.

How much often are you willing to do water changes? If you’re willing to do bigger water changes, like 50% a week, then you could do more guppies. However shrimp do not like big water changes, they prefer baby water changes like 10%-15% because stability is key to keeping them happy, healthy, and alive.

So with that in mind what do you think? Bigger water changes without shrimp? A light stock with shrimp? Community tanks are fun so imo I would go that route. Guppies, khulis, and maybe something fun like mystery snails (that are colorful and can handle the bigger water changes if necessary) would be colorful and active. Mystery snails also like to breed so that could be another fun project

FallenOwl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would be doing about a 25% WC each week, as well as having large filters (higher gph) if that would help at all .. I want a minimum of 10 guppies, and my BN is a must.. is there any bottom dweller I could have if I went that route?

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would be doing about a 25% WC each week, as well as having large filters (higher gph) if that would help at all .. I want a minimum of 10 guppies, and my BN is a must.. is there any bottom dweller I could have if I went that route?
Using Aqadvisor as a quick reference if you have 10 guppies and a bristlenose pleco you’d need to do 37% water changes every week, with 6 kuhlis you’d need to do 50% every week for the overstocked tank. With no pleco, 10 guppies, and 6 kuhlis 41% is recommended.

Of course theses are not absolutes but it gives you an idea of what you’re trying to achieve

FallenOwl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well.. pleco is not a requirement for me anymore, he died this morning, I'm not sure why
If I only did 8 guppies, could I have this stock?
8x Male Guppies
8x Kuhli loaches
1x Mystery snail
10x Blue pearl shrimp

Guppyception

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well.. pleco is not a requirement for me anymore, he died this morning, I'm not sure why
8x Male Guppies
8x Kuhli loaches
1x Mystery snail
10x Blue pearl shrimp
I would evaluate why he died first before adding more fish. If it wasn't water parameters then you should be fine to add more.

FallenOwl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm in the process of moving houses, and I have a few goldfish and him in the 20g while I get their tank set up (it's been almost a week, complications with the house keep pushing the date) so I've been trying to do as much as I can and I think the stress just got to him..
They will all be going back to their original tanks asap.. but theres nothing I can really do right now except frequent WCs..

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My plan was to breed until full, then rehome all of the females.. I could also breed the females in a 10g, then put the male(s) back into the 20g.. that's why I was thinking about having other fish as well.. maybe some bottom dwellers? Algae eaters? Also, how many Male guppies do you think would comfortably fit in a 20? With & without other fish?
I thought about it, and kind of put numbers together, so just wondering if this looks about right?
10x Kuhli loach
1x BN Pleco
20x Male guppy
1x Ivory Mystery snail
15x Blue Pearl Shrimp
I would do 15-17 guppies max without any other fish.
8x Male Guppies
8x Kuhli loaches
1x Mystery snail
10x Blue pearl shrimp
Sorry about your pleco.

That would work. You'll have to put a sponge over the filter intake so any baby shrimp that are born don't get sucked in. Keep in mind that guppies will eat baby shrimp.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom